This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 111220

Started by Coach Sommer, December 20, 2011 · 10 Replies · 2,243 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

Begin with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Josh Schmitter

Little at a loss today as I'm feeling really blah/sore from yesterday and who knows what else. Not sure if I should push through today, scale down more so than usual, or take an extra rest day. Ironically when I feel like this early in the day, my workouts tend to feel really good/easier than normal. Right now I'm leaning toward pushing through and then seeing how I feel tomorrow/Thurs.

-Pushing through turned out correct...this further highlights the irony of feeling like crap in the morning/waking up and having a really good workout. It's got me stumped

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

1x10 Wrist PU on knees

2x 26ft/32 steps Plank Walks, feet slightly above hip height(2min rest)

2x5 Pike Press HeS(2min rest)

2x10 Straddle Press HeS(5 min rest)

HS Cycles(Stomach to Wall/floor HS): Wrist about 5" away from wall

-1x10 cycles 30s on/1min rest

-1x10 wrist pushups(knees/5,5)

5min Rest

-1x2 cycles 30s on/1min rest

-1x5 wrist pushups(knees/5,5)

Notes:

-Still messing w/ the Plank walks to find the perfect distance. This seemed about right as it was trying, but perhaps I should go for a little more distance with feet on the floor before raising them...we shall see.

-HeS Pike Presses felt good...still difficult, but easier than normal after doing them the previous day for RLL sub. Straddle ones killer after 6 reps, especially 2nd set.

-Add another cycle /felt much better than last time again. Started to get trying starting around set 5 w/ shrugging the shoulders(but did not fail to do so), but didn't get any discomfort in the front delts where I normally get it after the first few sets. Wrists also felt much more comfortable than normal.

blackmonster

Wrist Warmup Routine

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HeS

12 cycles of Parallette HS

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

James Morse

Coach,

Matt from your team watched Shin, Orench and me workout last week. He was extremely knowledgable and gave us excellent insight. He noted we should do our xr handstands on parallettes and yesterday we all felt a great challenge/opening of the shoulder girdle throughout or 12 cycles on the parallettes.

Many thanks to you and Matt

Sven Ravnstag

I'm having a little trouble understanding the differences between pike box press handstands and straddles. I' m not sure I fully understand the concept of box presses in general, so I'm not sure what their purpose is/how a beginner would start.

From what I can tell, I assume the difficulty is inversely related to the height of the box from which you're pressing? For example, I don't really have anything to press from, so I just stand in front of a wall and assume a handstand. I lack to strength/flexibility to just bend over and press into it though, so I end up using some kick to get there.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I own the book and have scanned the forum but am still a little fuzzy on this.

Thank you!

Joshua Naterman
Steve Sisk said:
I'm having a little trouble understanding the differences between pike box press handstands and straddles. I' m not sure I fully understand the concept of box presses in general, so I'm not sure what their purpose is/how a beginner would start.

From what I can tell, I assume the difficulty is inversely related to the height of the box from which you're pressing? For example, I don't really have anything to press from, so I just stand in front of a wall and assume a handstand. I lack to strength/flexibility to just bend over and press into it though, so I end up using some kick to get there.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I own the book and have scanned the forum but am still a little fuzzy on this.

Thank you!

Steve, the box is there to allow you to start with your feet off the ground. The purpose of this is to start getting the feel for straight arm handstand pressing without requiring a full ROM. As you get stronger, more flexible, and better at the movement in general you will be able to start lowering the box.

Straddle is much easier than pike, so either do two sets of straddle box HS press or do a set of pike HeS press instead of pike HS press to keep working on the spinal part of the pike press and build up mobility in pike position. Then move on to straddle box HS press. On the wall you can just lower down some and then press back up, you don't NEED a box. This can be a bit tricky but is also an easy way to see where you are at.

If you notice, you should be doing the two sets of pike before the two sets of straddle. In this case, it is most appropriate to perform pike HeS press instead of pike HS press if you can't do decent piked HS presses. You may also want to concentrate on straddle HeS press exclusively if the piked version is too hard, or do full ROM straddles and box versions of the pikes.

At your level, based on what you have written, it sounds like you really need to be focusing on the HeS presses and wall HS at the moment. Am I wrong?

Josh Schmitter
slizzardman said:
Am I wrong?

Ha, I have found that possibility is growing increasingly unlikely in direct relation to the passing of time. Seriously though, good to see ya around Slizz.

Joshua Naterman
TANSTAAFL said:
slizzardman said:
Am I wrong?

Ha, I have found that possibility is growing increasingly unlikely in direct relation to the passing of time. Seriously though, good to see ya around Slizz.

Thanks :) I will be on a bit through the first week of January and then I will get more sporatic again, things are going into overdrive with school. I'll be doing 2-3 hours of MCAT prep per day in addition to my 17 semester hour course load and maintaining my fitness and personal life. Won't have as much time to post here as I would like to, but I will still be around :)

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks Slizzard. I've just gotten to where I can jump into a free handstand and hold it for 60-30 sec. Balance/skill is the limiting factor right now; I have plenty of strength to hold the HS.

So what you're suggesting is getting into a head or handstand against the wall and lowering my legs to where they'd be where I to start on an elevated box?

Josh Schmitter
Steve Sisk said:
Thanks Slizzard. I've just gotten to where I can jump into a free handstand and hold it for 60-30 sec. Balance/skill is the limiting factor right now; I have plenty of strength to hold the HS.

So what you're suggesting is getting into a head or handstand against the wall and lowering my legs to where they'd be where I to start on an elevated box?

I believe that is correct. I think he is saying doing them without a box gives you a much more accurate sense of your level as you can't cheat by using the box as an assist(i.e. taking weight off when your feet are on it) instead of just a measure of height(i.e. coming right back up when your feet just brush the surface). Also just making sure you've checked the links posted in the WOD where coach addresses the issue himself.

slizzardman said:
Thanks :) I will be on a bit through the first week of January and then I will get more sporatic again, things are going into overdrive with school. I'll be doing 2-3 hours of MCAT prep per day in addition to my 17 semester hour course load and maintaining my fitness and personal life. Won't have as much time to post here as I would like to, but I will still be around :)

Any time is better than none. Thanks always for making the time w/ an already full plate.

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP Pre-req WU (3 ROUNDS)

Shoulder routine

Did:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

5x2 CWW

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

12 cycles of Box HS

1x10 Wrist Pushups