Sets and Reps

Started by Evilllamas, December 19, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,477 Views

Evilllamas

Hi

In terms of sets/ reps for FBE's (On a SSC)

should I be doing 3 sets of say 3-6 reps, with a 2 minute break?

Or perhaps several more sets, on a shorter break?

A total of about 9 reps in some cases, just doesn't feel right...

Thanks

305pelusa
Evilllamas said:
Hi

In terms of sets/ reps for FBE's (On a SSC)

should I be doing 3 sets of say 3-6 reps, with a 2 minute break?

Or perhaps several more sets, on a shorter break?

A total of about 9 reps in some cases, just doesn't feel right...

Thanks

Definitely depends on the difficulty of an exercise. What I found that works well is to do 3-5 sets of an exercise, leaving 1-2 reps in the "bank" after each set, and get a volume of 12-18 reps

So if you can do, say, 7 reps on X exercise, then 3x5 is what I would use. If you can do 5 reps, then 5x3 is what I would use. If you manage 4 reps or less, consider either scaling the exercise a bit, or just work with less overall volume. Something like 4-5x2 where the difficulty of the exercise will make up for the slightly less volume.

I usually do 4-5 sets, with 3-5 min of rest between sets.

That's just what I've found to work well. Hopefully, more knowledgeable people here will be able to give you an even clearer response :D

Ian Legrow

It all depends on what you are going for, but throughout the web site and in the book Coach says "if you can do 3 to 5 reps, then you need to progress to the next exercise." For me, i will not progress until i do 5x5 of an exercise, or at LEAST 5x3. Between sets its a 2-5 min break depending on how you are feeling. Just feel out what is best for you

Blairbob

Good enough for worksets. A simple way to get in some volume, is doing sets of easier progressions as a lead up.

So say I was working on graduated HSPU on parallettes as my worksets and was going to do 5 sets of 3 reps. I might do some box HeSPU, wall HeSPU, and floor HeSPU as warm up sets. Don't go for too many reps or sets to burn yourself out.