Hi all,
I've recently been trying out spending more time on bare feet or in Vibrams, and as such have become more conscious of how I'm walking, specifically if I'm walking quickly, or further than, say, from one side of my room to the other.
Anyway, I have some questions/observations:
[*:14els4j2] Where should I land when I place my foot down? On the heel, with the rest of the foot rolling down after it? And when the rest of the foot comes down, should it sort of 'roll' from the outside in, or vice-versa, or should it come down fairly evenly?
[*:14els4j2] Should my toes 'grip' the ground as my weight shifts over them? I started doing this only recently because it seemed to stop a stiffness that set into my toe joints when walking barefoot. Like, it wasn't really bad or anything, but after walking a while, I always felt the need to curl my toes down and press down to 'crack' them. Since making my toes curl and grip more when I walk, I haven't felt the need to do this.
[*:14els4j2] Taking smaller strides than I used to seems to have helped reduce the shock of my heel hitting the ground. Should I continue to do this, or is talking smaller steps the wrong way to approach this?
Now, I know I might be overthinking this, and, according to some people, it seems almost like they just magically adjusted to barefoot walking, presumably changing things in response to avoiding various new discomforts. However, I figure that getting some advice, too, can't hurt.
So to summarise, I'm just asking: How should one walk barefoot?
edit: Also, my apologies, I'm not sure which forum would've been most appropriate for this question. This had seemed like a reasonable place when I'd started writing it.