This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

my weekly routine

Started by Edward Smith, February 5, 2008 · 7 Replies · 1,585 Views

Edward Smith

my weekly routine goes roughly like this (it changes a little weekly):

tuck planche: 5 or 10 sets of 1 or 2 secs (which do you think would be more productive and i could probably do a couple more sets than 10 of 1 sec)

adv tuck lever: same as the planche

hanging leg raise negatives: 4 sets of 1 (13 tempo)

headstand leg raises: 4 sets of 1 (313 tempo with 1.5 kg in my feet)

stair step pistols: 5 sets of 1 (for each leg)

1 armed handstand: 3 sets of 2 secs

1 armed dad hang: 2 sets of 2 secs

dragon flag negatives: 4 or 5 sets of 1

ab roll outs: 2 sets of 4 different angles (hands on the wheel, feet on the wheel and holding the wheel with one arm, each side (working the obliques) 1 or 2 reps for each (i generally just do dragon flags or roll outs not both)

support on rings: 4 sets of 2 secs (i only do this once or twice a week)

l-sit and v-sit: 4-6 sets of 2-3 secs (i do these on my parallette session)

dips: 3 sets of 2 (also during my parallette session)

I do this routine monday, tuesday, thursday and friday, except of course the things i've specifically mentioned. It takes over an hour, i rest between sets for about two minutes, do you think i could have shorter rest periods or could/should i circuit it (not to keep my heart pumping, but just so i dont get tired). should i do it in body parts per night? or something like it?

pretty much my goals are to get a full planche and front lever, hanging leg raises, muscle ups, and just get genral good pulling, pushing, ab, back and leg strength. eventually i want to move onto crosses and the likes. I also work skills ( things like freestanding handstands, false gripcombinations on parallettes, etc.) seperately from my strength routine.

Edward Smith

can someon please crtique my routine/

i think i might have to switch to thursday, friday, sunday and monday for training

John Sapinoso

for the tuck planches i think you should hold them at least a collective minute

but i'm thinking if you can't hold it for at least 5 seconds at a time then you should build up to it more before using it as your main method for building planche strength.

you could try these:

pseudoplanche pushups w/ hands by waist, frog stands, sliding straddle planche negatives on a wall etc

this looks pretty good, but i personally would up the hold times to about 75% of what you can hold with good form

oh and pre and post stretch too

Edward Smith

how long do you think a routine like this should take?

most of the time i do post stretching occasionally i do pre stretching

John Sapinoso

huh?

if im understanding this question correctly, im thinking that your routine takes about 30 mins

depending on how efficiently you use your time

Ortprod

IMO, you should try to condense your training around a few (or maybe down to one) skill focus. Also, if you want muscleups you need to pull dynamically. Front levers will help a bit, but I think the transition needs to be trained first.

Which leads to my next idea: organize your training goals and concentrate. A lot of them will have carry over to the other skills. Dips help planche work, pullups and muscleups help font levers, leg lifts help L-sits. I would say to concentrate on the "easier" skills till they you have mastered them (basically till you feel they dont work you as well as the next level would) as opposed to training so many things that might still be hard for you (i.e. training tuck planche and front levers).

Bottom line: here is what I would do for a routine.

L-sit on paralettes (1 min total)

False grip pullups

Dips

HSPU (on paralettes if you can)

Pistols

Some sort of posterior work (headstand leg raise, deadlift, kettlebell)

Have you mastered a handstand yet? I see you do a one arm, which is awesome. Do you do it against a wall or free?

I would also say that while working on basics to focus on one of the more advanced skills in a gtg method. And also I believe in a certain order to which the skills (generally) "should" be trained. Something along the lines of:

1. Handstands

2. Pistols

3. backlever

4. muscleups

5. frontlever

6. planche

There are also other things that could be thrown in such as L-sit transitions to handstands on the paralettes, which I found to be a great "full body" workout, and also which I believe Coach Sommer has mentioned as being one of the most fundamental moves to learn. I am not sure though so don't quote me, lol.

Keep in mind this is just MY oppinion, which doesn't really mean jack cause I am no professional gymnast, just an amateur bodyweight enthusiast.

Does this help?

Best of luck,

-J

Edward Smith

This is quite an old post now and I have changed my training routine since posting this check my other workout log (finding my (Ed's) groove). I have since changed my workout to something like this:

-headstand leg raises (for back work and progresing towards handstand press)

- some sort of ab work generally either hanging leg raises or ab wheel sometimes something else

- pistols

- hamstring curl

- planche work

- front lever work

-muscle up work (dips, pull ups and negatives)

-ring series

Ortprod

Very true! I did not notice the date, lol.