Single Leg Squats- Tendinitis?

Started by Evilllamas, December 12, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,377 Views

Evilllamas

Hi

I've been doing single leg squats for a few weeks now, I do them twice a week, for 2 sets each time (Only 6 reps or so per side, each set)

Lately, I've been getting pain on the inside of my knees (as in side of knee on inside of my leg) when standing up/ bending legs or even just standing around, it's not very severe, but I've had wrist tendinitis before- and really don't want that in my leg.

I don't have the pain when performing the exercise however...

Could this be tendinitis, and should I just back off them for a few weeks until healed?

I've never really done lower body work before, and don't do much in the way of running/ cycling, so my legs are quite weak.

Thanks

Ian Legrow

I would recommend self Myofasical release (you can find it on youtube.) And you should probably move down to deck squats if SLS is hurting your lefs

Blairbob

This is one of the reasons I warm up with 60s of the bottom of SLS and encourage others to develop that mobility or warm it up. I'm not saying that a few sets of just warming up that position will cure or prevent this from happening. It's just a good idea to build up that mobility. In many child gymnasts, they merely need the balance though some need both.

To note, I've never had any pain from doing SLS. I was a young guy when I was doing them ( around 15 ).

I'd lay off them for now, do some SMR and make sure you are doing some sort of knee warmup. Knee circles for instance or lunging.

deadlift425

Work the bottom position of the single leg squat daily. This will open up the hip, knee, and ankle in order for you to have a pain free pistol squat!

Evilllamas

Thanks for the advice; it seems to be a tendon issue or something, as I've easily got the strength and balance, so I'll do some leg warm ups before I do them.