My poor attempt at HS

Started by Brutus, December 12, 2011 · 9 Replies · 1,931 Views

Brutus

I´ve been training for several months both "stomach to the wall" and "back to the wall" handstand.

I´m starting to feel confortable in this position although I know (after watching the video) I made some mistakes.

I can´t really place my hips correctly over my shoulders. I have some issues on my backbone (lordosis) and because of that I have a little arch on my back.

I also wanna know if I really have open shoulders or if I should still work on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZ_hup2Z8k

Ian Legrow

I would say that your shoulders were open for the stomach to wall HS. They also seemed open enough during the back to wall, however at your current stage it looks like the back to wall HS is going to hinder you unless you push off the wall and try to hold it free standing. It might just be me, but it also looks like your body is not 100% tight and your arms are slightly bent.

keep at it my friend ;)

Brutus

Thank you for the advice.

I will keep working on it. Any tip to avoid the shoulders closing at back to the wall HS?

Blairbob

Are you squeezing your glutes in the wall HS. Basically make sure to keep your butt tight. Frankly, I tried watching but you are very lean and let's face it, I don't like watching men's buttocks all that much; especially to see if they are squeezing them.

It just seemed you weren't locking in the pelvic tilt which is crucial to midline control of the HS. Yes, that sounds a bit CrossFit like but your middle has to be tight with no wobble.

Personally, your shoulders seem a bit tight which is common with your muscularity. It's not the end of the world as many gymnasts get tight shoulders as well.

A tip to keep those shoulders open is to make sure you are pushing through your shoulders. Shoulders touching ears if your mobility allows for it.

jl5555

As Blairbob says you have quite a chest so difficult to see how open the shoulders are.

But, my eyes were immediately drawn to your wrists and hands. Your hands don't look activated at all, as if there is no push going on there at all. Your wrists, like your arms, seem much too curved. You need to bring your forearms (and arms) over your wrists to start the alignment from the ground up. All this is connected and if you are not comfortable on your wrists and pushing through them to your palms and fingers then it's going to be tough to get the HS.

You mentioned in some of your other posts that your wrists were somewhat uncomfortable. Some discomfort with the wrists and forearms is going to happen when transitioning to this type of workout. You might want to spend a bit more time really working on those wrists, just remember that those are small apparatus holding up lots of weight so it will take time for them to build the appropriate connections.

Brutus
Blairbob said:
I don't like watching men's buttocks all that much; especially to see if they are squeezing them.

Sorry for the underwear, It´s the look i usually train at home. Next time I will get my pants on

Blairbob said:

It just seemed you weren't locking in the pelvic tilt which is crucial to midline control of the HS. Yes, that sounds a bit CrossFit like but your middle has to be tight with no wobble.

Personally, your shoulders seem a bit tight which is common with your muscularity. It's not the end of the world as many gymnasts get tight shoulders as well.

A tip to keep those shoulders open is to make sure you are pushing through your shoulders. Shoulders touching ears if your mobility allows for it.

Ok, that means I should try to tighten my belly button, correct?

I know I still have tight shoulders, but i´m working on it, and i have really improved my mobility since I started (before I was like a rod), but the problem is much useless muscle :?

It´s only the beggining and your advices is very helpful to me

Brutus
jl5555 said:
As Blairbob says you have quite a chest so difficult to see how open the shoulders are.

But, my eyes were immediately drawn to your wrists and hands. Your hands don't look activated at all, as if there is no push going on there at all. Your wrists, like your arms, seem much too curved. You need to bring your forearms (and arms) over your wrists to start the alignment from the ground up. All this is connected and if you are not comfortable on your wrists and pushing through them to your palms and fingers then it's going to be tough to get the HS.

You mentioned in some of your other posts that your wrists were somewhat uncomfortable. Some discomfort with the wrists and forearms is going to happen when transitioning to this type of workout. You might want to spend a bit more time really working on those wrists, just remember that those are small apparatus holding up lots of weight so it will take time for them to build the appropriate connections.

That´s why I have asked particular attention to this topic. I have always have weak wrists, and it wasn´t until now that i am really noticing that issue. I still can´t do proper wrist push-ups. Still do them kneeling on the floor and still feel uncomfortable. But i won´t give up as soon

Thank you very much. Your help is much appreciated

Michael Traynor

The curve in your lower back is certainly from not tightening your glutes as Blairbob suggested, make sure that your glutes are tight and your hips are open, that there is tension in your whole body, finger tips to the tips of your toes.

Blairbob

For video purposes, your shorts work better than pants. It's one of the reasons that boys sometimes are required to do gym shirtless. It shows the bodyline better.

Brutus

Although I know the video is a little dark, do you see any improvement in form in HS?

YlHzo6LHuYM