basic hold form check admonisher december 7 2011

Started by admonisher, December 7, 2011 · 3 Replies · 1,716 Views

admonisher

Hi I have been doing the basic hold for a month now steady but I never verified my form. I would like to know how my form is and what should I change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpwD0yFTC3U

Blairbob

Body tension is super important in gymnastics.

During your plank perform what is called a pelvic tilt (google it). Basically, squeeze your butt muscles (in fact do that for a lot of gymnastics, in general). A pelvic tilt can be performed basically by "squeeze your butt, suck your gut (stomach in)." You don't have much of a gut, but I think you understand what I'm talking about.

In reverse plank, you just need to do that pelvic tilt. Butt squeezed, core tight.

Hollow looks decent, make sure butt glutes are squeezed. There should be no space between your lower back and the floor. I can't see if there was any clearly enough.

During arch hold, legs have to be together. When they are apart, it becomes easier.

During your support hold, we can't see your shoulders and elbows so it's hard to judge it.

admonisher

Thanks, I will apply those. I've been checking a few videos on the digital coaching but I dont know which guys does it the best. WHo can I use for reference to see if I am doing it right. and should the inverse plank gives me a arch in the back like if my navel wanted to touch the sky ? or it should be tilted like you said.

I found those pictures

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/img/248Bfig1.PNG

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/img/279afig2.png

So i should do the plank hollow except my shoulder shall not be rounded.

I'll do another video in one week applying those correction. I am doing now 3 times 12 sec (3 times) for 2 times a week with the 5 exercises. I do the hang when training in capoeira by its self cuz there is a bar there.

before this I do 20min of prehabs and short stretches for shoulder and wrists and elbow and 5min prehabs after. And I finish with 30min of upperbody stretch.

Then I take 2 days for legs. same format, 20min prehab begining and 5min after.

It means I only put weights on my wrist 2 times a week.

Is that okey for progression, at my stage ? I feel training more the 5 days burns me up. so 4 is good. cuz I do 2-3capoeira a week of 2hours

John Sapinoso

I don't think that sucking the gut in is a good cue, this doesn't activate the proper abdominal muscles nor does it create pelvic tilt. Have someone hit you in the stomach and brace for the impact, this is how you

want to contract. It will shorten that abdomen and flatten the lower back.

The belly breathing that youre practicing should also be much more shallow if youre squeezing the abs correctly.