Ring book

Started by img, December 5, 2011 · 9 Replies · 4,096 Views

img

Just a quick nag about the Ring book. Does anyone know when it'll be available?

Coach, if you are reading this, please write it soon, please...

Vincent Stoyas
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4298
img

I see, it's hopeless.... :cry:

Vincent Stoyas

yeah =/ but it gives us time to get through the book with good form!

Cole Dano

Not hopeless, but it's safe to say it will be a while yet.

The thing is 90% or more of people interested in GB training will need a while to be prepared for most of what that book will contain anyway.

The way to get that preparation is following the WODs.

Now not knowing your background img it may be you are ready. In that case, try your best to find a gymnastic club in your area, and if at all possible get to a GB seminar. Even then, most clubs strength training is inadequate, mostly due to time limitations, so it's still prudent to follow the WODs in addition.

Coach has put his progression tree for the IC up in this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1988

Coach Sommer

Forgive me for being direct, but you are not yet ready for the ring strength book and in all likelihood have not yet mastered FBEs. Focus on first building up to legless rope climbs, HSPU then you will have built a sufficient foundation to attack ring strength when you are more prepared.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

scottmo

Coach, pertaining to the legless rope climbing, a while back I believe Serotonin stated some in his gym are heavily into swedish rope climbing/ ladder climbing and you asked him how they can handle such volume. Was this training ever discussed? thanks

Coach Sommer
scottmo said:
... Coach, pertaining to the legless rope climbing, a while back I believe Serotonin stated some in his gym are heavily into swedish rope climbing/ ladder climbing and you asked him how they can handle such volume. Was this training ever discussed? thanks ...

No, not in detail.

Safely increasing RC volume in your workouts is a simple matter IF you already have a strong legless RC. The first month perform one RC each day in your daily warmup; this will be in addition to whatever RC may be assigned to that day's workout. The next month perform two in the daily warmup, the third month three etc etc.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman
Coach Sommer said:
Forgive me for being direct, but you are not yet ready for the ring strength book and in all likelihood have not yet mastered FBEs. Focus on first building up to legless rope climbs, HSPU then you will have built a sufficient foundation to attack ring strength when you are more prepared.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This applies to me too. Don't feel bad!

You have to remember that ring strength is the Ph.D. of the bodyweight conditioning world!

You have to earn your high school diploma, bachelor's degree, and master's degree in order (pun intended) to get to that Pd.D.

I felt exactly like you do when I first got here, and it's taken me two years to realize that I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I thought I was going to be doing all these awesome rings exercises! What I am doing NOW is actually getting my body ready to handle true rings training in the future. That something that I am doing is following the GB plan pretty much step by step, exactly like Coach says. Build the joints (prehab and pre-requisites), build the simple strength( single plane FBE&FSP), build more complex strength (Multi-Plane FBE, handstand pressing, and XR versions of the previous), and then I will be ready to start my Ph.D in AWESOME (ring strength)!

scottmo

Thank you Coach, I enjoy rope climbing alot and I was very interested in how that level of volume could be attained without medial epicondylitis developing as I have experienced it before and is not easy to heal. As the winter is coming I cannot climb outdoors where my 25 ft rope is hanging, and just recently purchased a 2 inch manilla rope which i hung from my ceiling.