Fitocracy - a cute system of workout logs

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, December 3, 2011 · 12 Replies · 3,789 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

Martin Berkhan on LeanGains posted about this interesting website for logging workouts and having fun doing it.

In case you're interested:

* Link to the website: http://www.fitocracy.com/

* Link to Lean Gains article: http://www.leangains.com/2011/11/fitocracy-invites.html

It's not open yet, but if you can find a way to persuade someone to give you one of their 10 free invites, you're all set. I missed it, otherwise I would be offering mine.

Aaron Griffin

And there's almost no gymnastics exercises on there. I had been trying to convince the guys to add the BtGB exercises in the list. Not sure if they took that seriously or not

Scott Malin
phrak said:
And there's almost no gymnastics exercises on there. I had been trying to convince the guys to add the BtGB exercises in the list. Not sure if they took that seriously or not

Let's start a discussion on the following questions:

-What advantages does this system have that makes you more interested in using it over the Workout Log forum?

-What features would you need with our site in order to do your workout logs here?

-Would a gymnasticsbodies-based system of logging workouts aid you in becoming better at gymnastics or more be a cool toy?

Aaron Griffin
Cory Fair said:
phrak said:
And there's almost no gymnastics exercises on there. I had been trying to convince the guys to add the BtGB exercises in the list. Not sure if they took that seriously or not

Let's start a discussion on the following questions:

-What advantages does this system have that makes you more interested in using it over the Workout Log forum?

-What features would you need with our site in order to do your workout logs here?

-Would a gymnasticsbodies-based system of logging workouts aid you in becoming better at gymnastics or more be a cool toy?

Well, to be clear, I'm a software developer. What Fitocracy offers is pretty much not possible in a forum setting without significant time investment in a plugin. You'd need to create a standalone app for this.

Fitocracy offers a "game". It's very good for nerdy types that grew up on RPGs and the like. You gain points for doing things, gain levels, complete "quests". For instance, there is a beginner quest where you hit 135lbs on deadlift/squat/bench. You get bonus points and a little badge.

I keep a physical log book. I don't really care about having it in digital form. I copy things to Fitocracy for the game aspect. That's all.

Adam Bodestyne

Speaking of Fitocracy, and its game aspect, I thought the Penny Arcade comic for it was quite amusing.

I don't see myself using it (I'm not even keeping track of things here.. will get around to it. :P), but it still seems like an interesting idea.

Scott Malin
phrak said:

Well, to be clear, I'm a software developer. What Fitocracy offers is pretty much not possible in a forum setting without significant time investment in a plugin. You'd need to create a standalone app for this.

Fitocracy offers a "game". It's very good for nerdy types that grew up on RPGs and the like. You gain points for doing things, gain levels, complete "quests". For instance, there is a beginner quest where you hit 135lbs on deadlift/squat/bench. You get bonus points and a little badge.

I keep a physical log book. I don't really care about having it in digital form. I copy things to Fitocracy for the game aspect. That's all.

Aye, I'm aware of the technical development involved; and it would be be part of the site, not forums. The game aspect isn't too applicable to us, but should there be sufficient demand, a workout log system isn't out of the question for GB. This is more what I was aiming for. :)

Aaron Griffin
Cory Fair said:
Aye, I'm aware of the technical development involved; and it would be be part of the site, not forums. The game aspect isn't too applicable to us, but should there be sufficient demand, a workout log system isn't out of the question for GB. This is more what I was aiming for. :)

Would you like a beta invite to play around with it? I have some I can give out

Edit: I only have a handful, so I'm offering this up to just the moderators here. PM with your email address if you want an invite

Estari

i would be happy if you(or anyone else) could send me an invite... ( miroslav.duris[at]saturnia.sk )

thanks in advance

Fox

If somenone wants an invite --> PM with your email

Bobby B
Cory Fair said:
phrak said:
And there's almost no gymnastics exercises on there. I had been trying to convince the guys to add the BtGB exercises in the list. Not sure if they took that seriously or not

Let's start a discussion on the following questions:

-What advantages does this system have that makes you more interested in using it over the Workout Log forum?

-What features would you need with our site in order to do your workout logs here?

-Would a gymnasticsbodies-based system of logging workouts aid you in becoming better at gymnastics or more be a cool toy?

I would absolutely love a GB specific online workout log. Nothing too fancy required. Some suggestions:

- Allows quick entry or autofill of any WOD

- Keeps track of all FSP SSC details i.e. sec/hold, sets, total hold time, goal hold time, week 1 - 12

- Ability to create your own workout logs made up from BtGB excercises

I use pen and paper right now which is fine but there are so many benefits to an online system if its done right. Keep it straight forward and specific to GB. One of the problems with other online logs is that they're too general and bloated in unnecessary features.

We can call it PlancheMaker lol

Quick Start Test Smith

I'd like that, too! Something simple and orderly would be nice.

Scott Malin

Planchemaker, I like the name! No promises on this feature, but it will get serious consideration.

Alvaro

For those who love honors maybe a badge system with achievements( demostrable via video ). Kind of boyscout Patches for freestanding handstand, tuck , advance, streddle planche, front lever etc..

I know a couple of members who would enjoy this hugely!!!. By the way I wouldn't use this feature is just an idea... :D