So, I've dealt with soulder instability to some degree for 7 or so years now, and just six months ago had a couple of incidences while training where I felt a crunching sensation in my right shoulder, followed by chronic shoulder pain and an increase in shoulder instability.
After a couple weeks of steroidal anti-inflammatories and several months of physical therapy (some of which was with a friend of Charles Poliquin who is trained in active release) I experienced a small improvement in pain, and essentially no improvement in the shoulders stability. So I had an MRI done, and it turns out I have a type III S.L.A.P. Tear.
My doctor highly recommends surgery if I want to continue with my current desired level of activity. Which for me is full time work as a professional hand balancer and aerial straps artist, and as well as basic tumbling skills and hand to hand. But, naturally, my doctor has very little frame of reference for the types of things i need to be able to do as a circus performer.
Thus: i turn to the community full of knowledgeable people who know exactly the kinds of things I will need to do with my shoulder in the future, and who may have some experience with Labrum tears.
The question is, of course, if I want to move forward with such a career; am I likely to be able to do so after such an injury? Is surgery my best course of action? Or should I start planning to focus on a less shoulder intensive discipline/ look at new career options?
I have insurance, so the cost of surgery is not a problem, nor is the the recovery and rehab time an issue. I am 20 years old and highly motivated and willing to work as long as it takes to get my shoulder back into working order if it is possible to do so.
Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to read this and is able to offer some advice.