COLD Early Morning Training

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, December 1, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,477 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

I wake up early (about 4-4:30 am) to train till about 6:30 on Monday-Friday. (training sessions are quite a bit shorter on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

4:15 or so is pretty early for me, so I'm pretty sleepy when I wake up but I make myself do it so that I can enjoy the rest of my workday (I've noticed that everything is better once you push yourself to do something hard). Anyway, back when it was warmish I could handle it fine, but now that it weather is getting colder and colder down here, it's getting really hard to get warmed up and stay that way, mentally AND physically.

For example, I got up early this morning and loaded on a bunch of different shirts and a hoodie, two stocking caps (thick cotton), thick white socks, shoes, and gloves, and went outside after getting my pre-WO whey+greens snack. My breath creates huge clouds without any effort, so I guess it's kind of cold (around 1 degrees Celsius or 30 degrees F). Anyway, even after tons of Ido's shoulder work and arm swings, my hands and arms were too frozen to do chin ups. Then I almost fell asleep during rest time... :roll:

I'm planning on doing what I can do collect a bunch of building materials and build a sheet metal shed (like the portable metal ones, something like 10x20x10 WxLxH), that I can train in with a heater or something.

What do you guys generally think concerning early morning training, mental energy, and staying warm (and awake)? Any suggestions?

Blairbob

Space heater.

Some sort of warmup like jumping jacks or burpees, rowing, jogging. Lunges and animal walks can suffice.

Coffee or coca leaf or strong tea. But since we're not in Peru, you're gonna have to use coffee or vivrin :wink: .

There is a joke in there since my family is Peruvian and chewing on coca leaves is what they do. Apparently 1 coca leaf is like a strong cup of coffee, I hear.

Julekman

Is there a reason to jump up from bed at 4 in the morning, (busy daily schedule), or you just push yourself. For example, I perform the best at 8 in the morning, unfortunately my busy schedule doesnt allow me this, so I must wake up at 6 in the morning to perform gymnastics. If i go outside, after basic joint rotation, and elastic tubes, some animal moves like tiger crawl, crab walk, work the best for me, even on -8 temperature outside, this work very well. But one thing I need, warm hat and some protection for nose and mouth, because of cold wheater.Also in the winter, when I go outside I dont do to much static exercises or hard specific gymnastics skills, I like to move then.

Quick Start Test Smith

@BlairBob, I'm thinking of how I can construct some sort of sheet metal garage (after I try to sell a bunch of stuff :P). Once I do that, I'll figure out a cheap way of insulating it a bit and then I'll put a space heater in it. My house actually doesn't have central heating and was built in the 1930's, so it's a BIT cold in the winter... If I can get that up, then as long as it is well light and warm, I won't fall asleep. I already do jumping jacks, and I will add some animal crawls and walks.

I'll try some coffee though :D

@Lekman, Unfortunately yes. I leave for college around 7:30 am, and I like to have at least an hour after training to get my PWO meals in before leaving. I will definitely try animal crawls like you and Blairbob suggest. I bet they will be extremely effective.

Thanks guys.

Ryan Libke

You might also want to look into a full spectrum light - might help wake you up.