Now, I've been doing chins for some time. I can do about 10-15 good deadhang chins without any leg movement, and about 4x6-7 sets with a minute of rest. However, i don't really feel it in my back at all, which I believe is quite a common problem. My biceps get really tired, but my back doesn't. I haven't really been concerned with this, but i have noticed that my lats haven't grown at all, really.
Today, I tried something my friend suggested. He said that in order to get the lats really work, one must have a tightly arched back the whole time, and the shoulders musn't move forward at all. All in all it should be like a chin up where you lean away from the bar. Anyway, I tried this technique, and I couldn't quite get my chest to the bar - perhaps it was a lack of mobility, or strength, or both, but I stopped with the bar level with my mouth. That's where in order to get higher, I had to roll the shoulders to the front. i did 3x6 of these, with about one second of contraction at the top and a second in the bottom with the scapulae shrugged. It felt much different in my back, and strangely enough my triceps felt rather pumped.
So, should I do this version, even though I can't do full ROM reps, or should I stick to the old version? My goal for now is bigger lats, 'cause they are very small in comparison to the front of my body. My plan is to progress from 3x5 to 5x10 and then add weight.
Any other tips on proper lat activation in chins is also greatly appreciated. And anyone can answer, I just pointed the question to Slizz 'cause he feels like the guru of the board on getting bigger muscles
)




