Form check for some newbie basic holds 2

Started by Igor De Britto, November 23, 2011 · 10 Replies · 2,194 Views

Igor De Britto

Hi there, folks. I started a Static-only routine yesterday and would apreciate critics on the form of exercises.

Plank

aHBoif3ggOA

Reverse Plank

X-_V8ffsuuk

Hollow Body

wdrWZxAqAYo

Superman

0fmJYBW3dik

L-sit low

Zn6Kkps4eU0

Back Lever

First attempt

o1jUdA5SCHA

Edit:

Overhand grip

jECOYYGGgcM

Front Lever

uQ5FvOUVyRg

Edit

Overhand grip

pV1_26RMlaA

Handstand

qp0SgPpLz6A

Trying to figure out the points of tension necessary to keep the body straight with minimun to no touch on the bars. Long way to go, as you may see.

What's the better aproach: first one (little distance from the bars) or second one (pratically touching the bars)?

Cheers!

Niels Joergensen

Looks ok to me!

point your toes in L-sit and you need to go lower in the BL. I'd recommend switching grip to palms down (opposite of what you do). It helps conditioning the elbows.

Finn Frank

Looking good, well done form getting them all filmed and posted. To get the videos to embed you have to include ONLY the text after the "="

eg. "aHBoif3ggOA" but without the quotation marks ""

Brutus

Is it strong enough the bar where you hold? Doesn´t look a bit weak?

About the L-sit, i think you should work on tuck L-sit or even PB (chair) support to gain endurance and strenght in order to avoid shaking and quivering

Igor De Britto

Thanks for the input, guys =)

mrnielsjoergensen: by palms facing down, you mean the the grip should be 90 degrees tuck in the clockwork sense (palms really facing the floor) or facing the other side (starting with an undergrip instead of the overgrip)?

Finnbar: got them ajusted by now. Thanks =D

Brutus: I do believe that they are strong (as they didn't fall and I do play a bit with them for pushu-ups), but I don't believe they are that trustable for resilience. I probably won't do the levers on them again, since the falling position is pretty hazzardous. Probably gonna use proper bars outside next time.

As for the L shaking and quivering, it does not happen if I do a 60-second tuck. Therefore, is it lack of stabilizer strenght best worked returning to the tuck or keeping the routine like it is?

I will try to shoot the HS and Frog today to refresh this post!

Niels Joergensen
Iguanus said:
Thanks for the input, guys =)

mrnielsjoergensen: by palms facing down, you mean the the grip should be 90 degrees tuck in the clockwork sense (palms really facing the floor) or facing the other side (starting with an undergrip instead of the overgrip)?

Flip the grip. You are better of using the opposite hand position than what you do in the vid. I got a bit confused with what your question. Do a supinated grip. just like you would do a chin up.

I will try to shoot the HS and Frog today to refresh this post!

Igor De Britto

Updated videos with BL and FL on underhand grip (hell, that's WAY more stresfull on the biceps-forarm pit!), handstands (and would apreciate directions on the closeness to the walls for d and frogstands. They are all avaible at the first post, for convenience =)

Finn Frank

The 2nd attempt at BL looks good, but i think you want your a bit hips higher (level with shoulders)

FL hands are now the wrong way around, the upside down grip is only for back lever, do it same way as first attempt. Other than that whilst in your tucked FL try to pull your shoulder blades together tightly.

HS looks good, focus on pressing upper chest and quads into wall. Squeeze you stomach at glutes to say tight. In my opinion you want to be as close the the wall (or post in your case) as you can without falling off it.

As a side note you may also want to learn to roll out of a HS just in case if you haven't already :)

Igor De Britto

Thanks a lot, Finnbar. I just figured that the point is to be able to use the palm to pull/push the body for the later forms of the levers. So the hand positions for front and back levers have to be opposite! Something I'm wondering:

1) Shoulders have to be always in line with hips.

2) I should aim for a 90 degree angle beetween body and arms (or a bit less) on the tucks and, as the exercises develop, stretch the legs and reduce that angle.

Is this a good aproach for the levers?

And for the HS... It's interesting to learn to contract different parts of the body. And it's damn hard to be 1 cm or less from the support! But I guess that comes with proper technique and practice, right? And I don't know how to roll out of the handstand. Any suggestions on a tutorial?

Cheers!

Blairbob

Point toes in levers.

Keep head neutral in Superman.

Igor De Britto

Thanks, Blairbob. Points taken and corrections made =)