Gymnasts Upper Back Development

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, November 21, 2011 · 10 Replies · 4,452 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

Do all gymnasts have kind of small upper backs (relative to their chest and shoulders) or is it just me (I mean my observation)? I haven't seen all that many, but I was watching a video of Yuri van Gelder and it could just be that his chest, shoulders, and arms are so huge that it made his upper back look small, but it did.

I thought of this while playing Skyrim (hehe). The Imperial's upper back looks very well developed (at least to me):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS53ji4_PcmmfRHmHk2Yll8oRJVnK-RQBQ8tM4_o8TIqKStvblC1Zc1wOEJ

And then I looked at this gentleman "timbahwolf" who puts his workout videos on youtubedNilld58tks .

What do you think? Am I wrong?

Blairbob

Gymnasts tend to be smaller than other athletes, especially if they are an apparatus specialist.

Quick Start Test Smith

You'd no better than I, but gymnasts seem to be BIGGER than other athletes to me. IT could just be that they look smaller because they're so lean...

MH87

Wrong!! :)

Skyrim is a great game tho btw!

Quick Start Test Smith

Haha! It sure is :D

Blairbob

Gymnasts tend to top out at 175lbs or so. Tailbacks tend to start at 205 and linebackers and safeties around 225 on the light side to 265.

Many rings specialists are quite often in that 120-155lb range. I can't remember Van Gelders weight but Danny Rodriquez is about 125lbs and Gregor is around 140.

Quick Start Test Smith

Okay, well my weight goal is about 190-200 lbs at about 7-8%. I guess that's enough weight to have a pretty strong looking back.

WitnessTheFitness

I've never paid particular attention to the upper backs of gymnasts, but I've never noticed them being disproportionate to the rest of their upper bodies. Front levers and planches hit my upper back more than weightlifting, and I imagine that advanced feats like maltese require incredible upper back strength. Legs are really the only thing I can think of that are disproportionate in terms of size with gymnasts.

Yaad Mohammad

jbHieiVMjww

Dunno 'bout you guys, but his back is pretty big.

Falcon
Rago said:
jbHieiVMjww

Dunno 'bout you guys, but his back is pretty big.

I was too lazy to post this :D

Quick Start Test Smith

Hmmm.... I think Yuri could use some barbell rows to beef up. Such a scrawny lad... :lol:

I stand corrected... lol