Playing around with stretching for the splits over the last week or so, I have found a nice combination of variations of two exercises I have liked for a while.
Prior to performing this I suggest a specific warm-up. I really like the following (and it in and of itself can be used as a routine for the splits):
Front Split warm-up
1. Lunge position (knee on ground), lunge position with front leg straight, lunge position grabbing back ankle (quad dominant stretch)- 20-30sec each position
2. Lower into front splits-15 sec
3. Repeat using isometric holds/contractions- 10-20sec Iso followed by 10 secs in deeper stretch
4. Lower into front splits- 10-20sec passive, 10sec Iso, 10sec passive
Side splits warm up
1. Butterfly stretch- 20-30sec
2. Horse stance- 20-30sec
3. Frog stretch- 20-30sec
4. Lower into side splits- 10 passive, 10 iso, 10 passive
Splits Superset
Preamble:
There are three positions I will refer to here. Side splits, no need to explain. Martial art style split, front foot is pointing up and rear foot is pointing sideways. And the front splits, front foot is pointing up and rear foot is pointing down.
A1) From side splits rotate left into martial art split, hold 5sec. Rotate further into front split, 3 bounces, 5sec Iso, 5sec passive. Rotate back through martial art split into side split, 3bounces, 5iso, 5passive. Perform the same for the right side. Perform three times (i.e you will have gone through each front split position three times and side splits six times)
No rest.
A2) Lying on your back raise one leg as far as you can toward your face, keep the other on the ground. Rotate leg outwards in a circular motion while simultaneously doing the same with the other leg, ending up with the legs switched. You should have drawn a circle with your legs. Keep your legs straight at all times and perform this slowly and deliberately. Expect some cramping! Perform 6-10reps
Repeat the superset however many times you like.
During the split switches (A1) I would suggest having a chair in front and behind you if you are not very close to the ground with your splits. Also, it is more than acceptable to lift up slightly when transitioning between splits (it is about mobilising in that deep ROM not a dynamic stretch).
I really like the combination of active and loaded stretching and it has been giving me good results, feel free to tinker with reps, sets and hold lengths. However please use some common sense when approaching this, if you have not done much isometric stretching before please ease into this as it is quite strenuous and you can get hurt if unprepared (I know from experience).
Ed