hamstring tension

Started by irongymnast, November 19, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,547 Views

irongymnast

I took a break from gymnastics for 4-5 months and now I've been wanting to get back to training.

4-5 months ago I did some olympic weightlifting.

Now when I try L-sits or similar exercises, I feel my hamstrings and quadriceps very tensed. I wonder if oly work has been the reason for this.

How can I get rid of this tension and restart my splits training etc.?

Edit: hamstrings are so tight that when lying down on my back and forming an L with my feet, I can't straighten my knees to full ROM.

Aaron Griffin

Stretch more? I really doubt this flexibility is the result of 4-5 months of disuse.

Blairbob

This is a pretty common problem with L work as I'm going through the same thing as my max L work tends to get hampered by my quads giving out.

It goes away with time. Flexibility comes back by merely doing it.

Give it time and effort.

irongymnast

What kind of flexibility work should I do for this kind of problem? Active, passive or dynamic ?

Any recommended specific exercises?

irongymnast

Bump!

Joshua Naterman
irongymnast said:
Bump!

Thump. Stretch, practice L sit. Stay consistent. Stop overthinking. Try one way, if it doesn't work try the next!