Reasonably Good Maltese Photo

Started by Coach Sommer, November 15, 2011 · 18 Replies · 8,757 Views

Coach Sommer

I would have preferred hips tucked under and a flatter back, but the following photo of Germany's Phillip Boy shows good arm and shoulder position on his maltese.

851b617f974936ae9637b8f77a975d03.jpg

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Uzeeh

God, those deltoids... :shock: Is there any good photo on a floor maltese?

Ian Legrow

See, this is why I would like a coach soon. Becasue (not now obviously) at some point i will be ready to do this, and there is no way in hell i will be able to teach myself how to do it. Oh well. Love the photo though, ring strength really impresses me

Falcon

Most of gymnasts in my country (more like all of them) have heavily arched Malteses, that is a sing of weak shoulders, am I right?

Blairbob

Uzeeh, I don't know about pictures but I have seen some decent videos of floor maltese/swallow on youtube.

WitnessTheFitness

I can only dream of being able to do a maltese one day. Coach, do you know of any heavier athletes that have been able to perform one? I know there are tall 170lb+ gymnasts that can hold an inverted cross, but I haven't seen someone in that range do a maltese yet.

j4b
Falcon said:
Most of gymnasts in my country (more like all of them) have heavily arched Malteses, that is a sing of weak shoulders, am I right?

I'm fairly certain that it isn't the shoulders that is the culprit, but rather the muscles along the back around the scapula. Think like a planche, it's that extension/pushing outwards to a hollow that I'm talking about. Get up on the rings and have someone spot you through a full planche>maltese, if you're a beginner in the position you won't be able to hold the hollow to save your life, and as a result your shoulders will peel back. At least that's been my experience.

Cheers

acegerter

coach, what are your thoughts on this maltese? :-)

chen_yibing_2.jpg

Coach Sommer
coach, what are your thoughts on this maltese? :D

That particular photograph was taken just prior to Chen Yibing completing his azarian roll to maltese which is why the shoulders are slightly below horizontal; but Chen's completed maltese position is flawless.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edward Smith
Coach Sommer said:
That particular photograph was taken just prior to Chen Yibing completing his azarian roll to maltese which is why the shoulders are slightly below horizontal; but Chen's completed maltese position is flawless.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

It's seriously weird/scary that you are able to determine what element he is performing from a photo.

Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer wrote:

That particular photograph was taken just prior to Chen Yibing completing his azarian roll to maltese which is why the shoulders are slightly below horizontal; but Chen's completed maltese position is flawless.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

It's seriously weird/scary that you are able to determine what element he is performing from a photo.

8)

Quick Start Test Smith

Hahahah! :lol:

Vayzenshtat

should the shoulders be in line with the rings? Phillip Boy's shoulders seem too high

Coach Sommer
should the shoulders be in line with the rings? Phillip Boy's shoulders seem too high

Yes, they are too high.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Vayzenshtat

my malteses also look like that. should I progressively widen my arms?

thanks in advance

charlie/prendy
yuri_van_gelder_ned.jpg yuri van gelder, one of my personal favourite
seiyafan

I see all gymnasts wear thick wrist bands when doing rings, is this because the human joint alone is just not enough to support in those advanced movements? Should a beginner use wrist bands? :P

David Picó García

Those wrist bands are meant for not to loose (mmm... bad english i think) the grip on swings elements and not tear the skin.

seiyafan

do you guys tape your wrists for the false grip?