Ankles Prehab Routine!

Started by Alex Solis, November 13, 2011 · 5 Replies · 4,147 Views

Alex Solis

What do you guys think of these very simple, short exercises for ankles? I loved them :D

Hope they help you!

yuri marmerstein

I've been doing the Dick Hartzell ankle protocol with the heavy band for a couple years now and I've had no ankle problems since.

HumanBIOS

One of the best ways to warm up and strengthen the stabilizers of the ankle are to just stand on one leg for 5 minutes. I learnt this technique in Thailand after doing Muay Thai boxing for 3 months. It's part of general prehab and warm up for the ankles aswell as general balance awareness.

The best way to perform this exercise is not just to lift your leg off the ground and hold the position for 5 minutes, but to bring your lifted knee all the way to your chest! This works the stabilizing muscles alot more to stop you from tilting backwards and forwards aswell side to side...after about 3 minutes you will feel the burn spreading from your ankle and through your grounded leg and also in the hip flexors of your elevated knee. Once 5 minutes it's up, switch feet.

After the first week of doing these once or twice a day you will definitely feel stronger and more flexible in the ankles!!

Once you feel you have it sussed and your muscles have got used to the conditioning..try it with your eyes closed or even a weight vest......Now that is hard!!

Martin Schulz

I can definitely vouch for the way bio-mechanix described.

With your eyes closed, you strengthen your ankles in the weakest directions (mostly side to side) with the added bonus of balance AND proprioception. I can also recommend doing this on a balance board. Worked my way up to closing my eyes on the board as well.

Additionally, I would add shin raises to the list. This is often neglected and helps to prevent knee problems as well. The extension of the foot can also be worked, although its not necessary. Sprinting, jumping, calve raises, many different training methods work on that motion anyway

D Nowell
yuri said:
I've been doing the Dick Hartzell ankle protocol with the heavy band for a couple years now and I've had no ankle problems since.

Second this. The entire lower body sequence is oh so good.

Quick Start Test Smith

I think this is a pretty good drill, too.

rET7J_kV3T0