New to the forum!

Started by ELITELIFTER, November 11, 2011 · 1 Replies · 4,636 Views

ELITELIFTER

Hey everyone,

I have been checking this site out for over a year now and am really impressed with the wealth of collective knowledge that exists on this web site. I have spent many enjoyable hours reading though the extensive database of threads and posts and figured it was about time for me to get in on the action!

I am currently a trampoline coach, as well as a recreational artistic gymnastics coach at my local club and have spent many years with off and on gymnastics programs growing up, but never actually spent the time to really get to a high level in artistic gymnastics. The last three years I have spent training harder than ever and have managed to make huge improvements, but I also broke my wrist about 6 years ago and lost the ability to support my body with flat palms, this has been a huge hurdle to overcome as I feel such passion for gymnastics now more than ever. I have since learned how to press to handstand, and do full planche on floor using only my finger tips which takes much of the pressure off my wrists as well as limited the angle on my injured wrist. but there is only so much I am able to do with my bad wrist, vaulting is out of the question and all the tumbling I used to do I now preform on my knuckles.

Being so limited has not hindered my ability to do rings in anyway, infact rings and P-bars are the only place I feel comfortable in handstands just because of how much pressure is exerted on my finger tips on the floor, and I think it's one of the reasons rings are now my favorite apparatus in my gym, basically I'm the trampoline and ring specialist at my local club.

Here is I little video of the gym I work at, this adult drop-in night so I'm just kind of playing / supervising not seriously training. keep in mind this was made by one of my friends who is not a gymnast so there are also other untrained people playing around. I am the one in the red shorts though, I think I do a few full rudi dismounts into the pit.

see you guys on the forums!

Scott Malin

Welcome to the community! I think one of the best ways to grow is exactly what you've done--registering and deciding to contribute as well as ask questions. You're certainly at home here, and I look forward to seeing your continued progress.

I'm also a bit jealous--large tumbling pits are a blast. :P