Straddle-L hand positioning

Started by Aaron Griffin, November 8, 2011 · 3 Replies · 1,655 Views

Aaron Griffin

When doing a Straddle-L, what is the ideal hand positioning? Does it matter?

I've tried doing it on a ledge, similar to how slizzardman shows in one of his videos. I seem to have lots of balance issues when doing this. However, if I use a chair, and place my hands on the sides or corners (fingers pointed out 45 or 90 degrees), balance is significantly easier, and it starts feeling more like a static hold.

Fingers out to the side seems to emulate an eventual XR straddle-l, so I hope this is acceptable for the early stages. If it matters, I'm working on the bent progression, to a 60s max, but can hold a low straddle-l for around 10 seconds

Blairbob

On floor, most people do it with hands shoulder width and the fingers slightly turned out similar to your general positioning for handstands.

That's generally how I teach it. For TOPS, doing it with the hands turned out to sides or excessively turned out like on rings actually disqualifies a gymnast.

Aaron Griffin
Blairbob said:
That's generally how I teach it. For TOPS, doing it with the hands turned out to sides or excessively turned out like on rings actually disqualifies a gymnast.

Why is that? Is it because it's easier?

As someone who is never going to compete, I'm ok with half-assed hand positioning :D

Blairbob

thems the rules.