This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 111107

Started by Coach Sommer, November 7, 2011 · 5 Replies · 1,810 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3x10 Weighted SLS

3x5 NLC

3x6 Circular Arch-ups

3x60m Backward Sled Sprint

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) This workout should be performed as a modified giant set. To this end perform the Weighted SLS (alternate legs on each rep for a total of 5 reps on each leg) then rest 60 sec, perform the NLC then rest 60 sec, perform 6 Circular Arch-ups then rest 60 sec (alternate direction here for each rep), finally perform the backward sled/tire sprints and then rest 5 minutes before beginning the next modified giant set.

2) Add as much weight as possible to both the SLS and Circular Arch-ups. Do not be afraid to challenge yourself here; holding a 45lb plate during the SLS is not unreasonable for stronger athletes.

3) Be meticulous in using ONLY just enough assistance from the arms to complete each rep of the NLC.

4) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous. The Backward Sled Sprints are the primary focus of this GB WOD and should be approached very aggressively.

5) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

Uzeeh

3 rounds:

5 Front squats

5 RDL

6 circular arch-ups, weighed

That's what I'm thinking to do today. I still can't do more than 4 SLS, so I think front squats would be a good substitute. Same with NLC and RDL. (I hope it doesn't matter that RDL hits mainly the hip extension part of the hamstrings).

TheLoneWolfShepherd

Question, I know what an arch up is, what are Circular Arch-ups?

Josh Schmitter
Uzeeh said:
3 rounds:

5 Front squats

5 RDL

6 circular arch-ups, weighed

That's what I'm thinking to do today. I still can't do more than 4 SLS, so I think front squats would be a good substitute. Same with NLC and RDL. (I hope it doesn't matter that RDL hits mainly the hip extension part of the hamstrings).

Not sure about the RDL with exact musculature, but you can also follow the progressions in the book for SLS and NLC doing box SLS and 1/2 GHR for the NLC. Again this is if you want to keep closer to the rx'd exercises.

TheLoneWolfShepherd said:
Question, I know what an arch up is, what are Circular Arch-ups?

In the book.

Bdk1786 said:
After 2 1/2 weeks off, time to get back at it. Terrible luck on vacation to catch the Dengue Fever, then a terrible cold flying back home. Damn those tight international airplane quarters.

+1 on sucking. Welcome back :).

Josh Schmitter

Ido's Squat Routine

FSP Pre-req warmup(1 round)

WOD: 3 sets/rest as rx'd

3x10 SLS

3x5 Half GHR

3x6 Supine Windshield Wipers

3x60m Backward Sled Sprint(51ish lbs-30m slight decline/30 slight incline)

4x15s Straddle PB-Bent(60s rests)

Notes:

-SLS very tough. Half GHR felt really good. Supine WW should have weighted; For me there's just such a huge jump in difficulty between these and the twisting arch ups. Sled sprint was too much. By the 3rd round I figured out I probably would have been OK if I started with the incline half 1st.

-Tire Sled now 51ish lbs unweighted.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

General Warmup/Stretch

Focused Knees & Calves

3 Rounds:

10 Total SLS (16" Box)

Rest 60s

5 NLC (Fingertip Support)

Rest 60s

6 Circular Archups (BW)

Rest 60s

60m Backward Buddy Elastic Sprints

Rest 5 mins

Finished with a focus on straddle stretching.

Notes: I was in a rush so circular archups were done BW even though I should use more weight!