Ceiling is too low for rings

Started by Colibri, November 5, 2011 · 1 Replies · 6,898 Views

Colibri

I am a long way off yet to be training with rings for handstand work, etc. but would love a method of installing them so I can work on them in the future. Problem is, the ceilings in my house are way too low. I am 5'8", and the height of the ceilings are at most 7'5". Installing them into the attic rafters would have to be done.

It's so low, that I could have my hands up facing the ceiling, do a hop and be able to touch the ceiling.

I COULD hang them from my iron gym bar but I'm afraid of the stability and doing some inverted work on them.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I could make plans for some sort of stand to install in my backyard but I'm not sure what I could do.

Anyone in the same situation? Anyone overcome this?

EDIT: Just found this:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3196

My next project methinks!

img

Well, if you haven't yet got the ring handstand, you are going to need very low rings when you start off anyway. I mean literally, rings that are a few inches from the floor, and you practice getting your handstand on these. When standing in handstand on rings feels kind of ok, you could then consider pushups, and for that the rings will need to be only a little bit higher than before (your ceiling height is more than enough). Then comes a lot of cursing, grunting, faceplants and sweat until you can wring a couple of handstand pushups from yourself. And after that sure, taller rings would be nice.