I am interested to find out more about the effectiveness of my dream machine (DM or ring pulley system) training. I could not find much about the subject on this Forum, nor elsewhere. So, I decided to do a little thinking myself (always a good idea).
I have not felt as good from my BtGB training as these last four weeks, since I started using my DM. With my BtGB training I tend to go mostly by how I feel the day after. “Good†therefore means feeling tight in the shoulders, arms, back, chest, and core the morning after, but being able to work out again after a good warmup, including stretching (I do take rest days).
Apparently after two years of mostly static holds, my strength and (ligament) conditioning has reached a point where I can do series of multi plane moves on my DM that include a very wide range of movement which I realistically speaking will never be able to do without a DM. Most likely, that is the reason that I am feeling so “goodâ€. In simple terms, I am getting a more complete workout than otherwise is possible for me. It may very well be that other forum members are at that point and might want to try this too. So, I decided to try and understand a little what is happening when I work out on my DM. Here is what I can come up with (please correct me if I am wrong):
1 Holding your body in a horizontal position, with only support at your hands (from the rings) takes a force of more than twice your body weight because the lever that your muscles (6 in shoulder girdle and back; 8 in chest; 8 in each arm) working together in a rather complex way can exert on your skeleton is more than twice as short as the lever consisting of your body weight at your center of gravity and the distance to your arm sockets.
2 When you use a DM, your body weight is supported by two points instead of one (the rings and the attachment points at your waist close to your center of gravity). The force that you have to exert at the rings to hold a position or move around is therefore reduced by 40% to 50% of your BW (40% if you include the friction in the system that you need to work against). In other words, with a DM the vertical pushing and pulling force requirements for ring moves are only 50% to 60% of your BW.
3 The net result is that, with a DM (if you can handle 50% to 60% of your BW), you can train your neuromuscular system and all your upper body, arm and core muscles doing sets of multi plane moves over a ROM that can not be replicated by any other form of exercise that I know of (e.g. series of: planche to pelican, to HS, down to inverted hang, up with reverse MU to a HS, and down to pelican again).
4 As far as I can figure, the interplay between all the muscle groups that is required when you do these moves is the same as doing these moves on rings; only the strength required is scaled down by 40% to 50%. So the training is similar to the real thing.
5 The setback is that “only†50% to 60% of your body weight is used as resistance. Once you are strong enough to handle more BW you would like to have a way to increase the load gradually.
6 I am not 100% sure, but I think that you can do this (i.e. increase the % body weight that you have to work against) by moving the attachment point of the ring straps from just above your hips up to your chest. I have to think a little more about this, but it seems logical, because when you move the strap attachment points from your waist to your shoulders, you have only a very small lever advantage left, consisting of the horizontal distance between your hands (on the rings) and your shoulders.
Any ideas or comments?