I have never used wooden rings but you usually hear of them being favoured over metal or plastic. I was wondering if wooden chinup bars would be preferable too. I have 2 rope loops on my regular chinup bar so I can slot in an tricep bar

And do neutral pullups, the bar is also able to spin so is unstable which some might like.
I am going to try a wooden pole through the loops, the longer the wood the weaker it will be, my loops are just outside my hands on the chinup bar so the wood should be able to handle it.
Here is one some guy made.

He has made lots of things http://www.flickr.com/photos/41740772@N06/page3/
I have heard of people wrapping bars in tennis & hockey tape. I was wondering about cycling handlebar tape and found brooks brand do a leather tape which gets excellent reviews, but is expensive. If you had some old leather you might be able to make tape or glue it on direct.
