Dip/HeS Press/Standing Pike critique

Started by Josh Schmitter, November 2, 2011 · 20 Replies · 5,897 Views

Josh Schmitter

FkUfMaS0i04

Order is HeS Press, Standing Pike, Dips.

Concerns:

-For the HeS Press I thought I remember Coach saying that the lower back should not round(i.e. flexibility issue), so should I do a limited ROM w/ a book stack or something of the like?

-Standing Pike just wanted to make sure my lower back looked OK, or am I going too far?

-For Dips, am I going too low in the bottom position?

Thanks in advance.

Blairbob

What you call HeSPress we generally call HeadStand LegLifts. Your lower back should not arch as you hit vertical. Point your toes and your knees are slightly bent but I think it's because your pike flexibility ain't so flexible yet.

On your standing pike you have to decide whether to keep it as straight or rounded back. Straight back stretches hammies more, Rounded back stretches hammies less and lower back more.

Dips are fine, you just have very mobile shoulders. You're gonna have to pass through that ROM in a russian dip and MU. Having shoulders that flexible actually makes MU easier in a sense as long as you have the strength.

Bruno Cochofel
Blairbob said:
What you call HeSPress we generally call HeadStand LegLifts.

What's the difference? How can one do a HePress?

Cole Dano

I really appreciate seeing videos like yours.

They are the same thing.

On the pike i'm assuming you are trying to have a perfectly flat back? If so then you are a little low. There is a simple way to tell, if you put your hand on your lower back and feel the vertebra sticking out your not flat. You are close to a 90 degree tilt, so i would do a little of both. In other words work on being perfectly flat and keeping those bones in and then fully release down into the pike.

At your stage another effective exercise is to set rings about chest height and holding on to the rings sink into a pike position actively flexing the hips, it will feel like you are trying to reach from your buttocks to the floor. The rings are set so you can't quite get down.

Alessandro Mainente

from mu point of view, when you are doing heeadstanl try to put on the floor the head on his centre/back part...i found that for the equilibrium and for not have pain that is an optminal poisition, near thre front is not the best...this is from my experience as breaker, i can do a lot of headspins without hands and this head position seems to be the best one...

Cole Dano

Good point Alex.

Josh Schmitter

-Thanks for all the advice. Will definitely try the Standing Pike stretch w/ rings. I already try to feel for the vertebrae, reading a while back a post from you about this. I guess I just feel like it's not so much the hamstrings, but the upper calves + ligaments right behind the knee that are what's stopping me.

-Thanks for the reassurance on the dips as well. Always good to know I'm doing something correctly.

-The HeS Press/RLL I will try to get more on centered on the middle of my head. I think I was doing this as I read a while back somewhere to practice headstands on more of the forehead, but I completely forget where I read this, and even if useful, should be used when actually doing a Press/HeS RLL. I guess my question is: Should I be using a stack of books or something of the like until I can do it w/out rounding my lower back or just keep working the pike and everything, keeping in mind that I should have it straight at some point?

Mr Brady said:
I really appreciate seeing videos like yours.

-Feels good to be appreciated in video form :).

yuri marmerstein

your beard is excellent

Alessandro Mainente

how near to your face you can put your legs in the headstand rll depends from your flexibility in the piked stretch...for the same reason if i have a good flexibility i can do headspin with the legs more near the face

Josh Schmitter
yuri said:
your beard is excellent

Yes. Yes it is. Ha, I am big proponent of not shaving, so once it starts getting chilly I usually let it go until warmer weather rolls back round. Then it becomes an overnight shave of head/face(yes all of it). That will be unveiled in the spring sometime...I know, patience friends :).

alex87 said:
how near to your face you can put your legs in the headstand rll depends from your flexibility in the piked stretch...for the same reason if i have a good flexibility i can do headspin with the legs more near the face

Gotcha. So I believe I will go with a book stack for this from now on until I can maintain a flat back for the full ROM. Also should I be focusing on putting my hands closer to my head/more of a 90 degree angle in the tripod position, or is it ok to go out farther...also is there a difference between pointing the fingers forward or back?

Thanks all for taking the time.

Cole Dano
yuri said:
your beard is excellent

I was trying hard not to say that.

Josh Schmitter
yuri said:
your beard is excellent

Again, many thanks to all the other comments I got, but I think this was the best advice I've received.

Blairbob

Hahah, my bad.

Those are Headstand Presses. I just forgot. Most of our kids rarely work HeS presses in pike. Maybe for conditioning or warmup.

yuri marmerstein

It's been a while since I grew my beard out, but I can appreciate proper facial hair.

Joshua Naterman
Mr Brady said:
I really appreciate seeing videos like yours.

They are the same thing.

On the pike i'm assuming you are trying to have a perfectly flat back? If so then you are a little low. There is a simple way to tell, if you put your hand on your lower back and feel the vertebra sticking out your not flat. You are close to a 90 degree tilt, so i would do a little of both. In other words work on being perfectly flat and keeping those bones in and then fully release down into the pike.

At your stage another effective exercise is to set rings about chest height and holding on to the rings sink into a pike position actively flexing the hips, it will feel like you are trying to reach from your buttocks to the floor. The rings are set so you can't quite get down.

I am having a very tough time visualizing what you mean. Are you talking about doing this from a standing position?

Cole Dano

I made a quick video showing this and a couple of other traction stretches using rings.

B7SJ0fUxe0U

Let me know if you need any clarification.

I set the rings at about where SuperBeard is right now, moving back increases the hip flexion which is active but gravity assisted. One can play around with the height of the rings and find different angles etc.

The second one is using a broom handle to flex the hips around and gives some general traction as well.

The third can put a good deal of traction in the leg if you play around to find the right spot, this time i felt it particularly behind the knee.

The last is just an example of a pike stretch for reference.

Josh Schmitter

That is an awesomely helpful video; SuperBeard thanks you much. I definitely had something else in mind all together for the ring assisted stretch :). Also that pike at the end, is your lower back straight or rounded? That is something I'm not really sure I can tell just by seeing. It looks rounded to me, but again...

Cole Dano

Yes the back is round in a pike but it only rounds after the hips have flexed forward to the point they touch the thighs. At this point there is sort of a hollowing that takes place. If your hips aren't to the legs yet, your lower back will be pointing backwards and there is a sort of bump in the curve.

If you look from behind you would see that all the bones are 'in' and the body and the lower back actually appears flat.

Joshua Naterman

That is an awesome pike Cole! Very nice.

Thank you so much for that video, it is really good. I like all the ideas!

Bruno Cochofel
Mr Brady said:
Yes the back is round in a pike but it only rounds after the hips have flexed forward to the point they touch the thighs. At this point there is sort of a hollowing that takes place. If your hips aren't to the legs yet, your lower back will be pointing backwards and there is a sort of bump in the curve.

If you look from behind you would see that all the bones are 'in' and the body and the lower back actually appears flat.

Well, after reading this I've found out that my pike needs working.. I can get my head to rest on my knees but I get some of those bones a little out... :|

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:
That is an awesome pike Cole! Very nice.

Thank you so much for that video, it is really good. I like all the ideas!

Slizz coming from you that's a real compliment. 8)