Shoulder-in during planche

Started by fireman, October 30, 2011 · 8 Replies · 6,028 Views

fireman

Hi,

I think that i have a problem with my shoulders when i'm training planche. When i go into a tuck planche, my shoulder rotate in and I feel disconfort in my shoulder girdle. I Try not to rotate but it's too difficult for me. I read about bench press syndrome and i thought that it could be some relation.

One year ago i was doing a tuck planche pressing to handstand when i feel a little luxation in my shoulder. Now i have my left shoulder more unstable and i would like to correct it.

It could be some relation between the internal rotation and the shoulder unstability? Wich drills could I do?

Thanks you very much.

Joshua Naterman

It's probably not internal rotation that is the problem, it is probably your shoulder blades rotating up and winging slightly during protraction. They are supposed to depress and protract, and stay tight against the ribs.

You may also have impingement going on, which is normal when your scaps do this. Correct the scapular motion and your shoulder problems will go away.

Serratus anterior push ups (push ups wiht a plus) are a good thing to google, and working hard on your XR support will help too.

Make sure to use this proper shoulder movement for all PPP work, and don't use full ROM if you can't do it correctly... just use the ROM you can move correctly in and SLOWLY extend the ROM maybe 1 cm at a time every so often as long as movement is perfect in the new ROM. Over time you will have perfect movement in full ROM which will allow you to start building the strength that you need.

Archbishop o balance

Do you go full ROM on serratus pushups, like a regular pushup, or is it like a scapular pushup with straight arms, merely focusing on scapular protraction?

Joshua Naterman

straight arms, though often there is a slight bend. Using a rotational movement such as starting mostly on the left, going down, sliding to the right, and pressing up with mostly the right serratus and then reversing is a great way to make this harder.

Archbishop o balance

Much obliged! =) Are you still using the one-arm one-legged version? I've been playing with them lately and have never felt my serratus working that hard, if any at all, until now! Thanks again :)

Joshua Naterman

I had stopped them for a while due to excessive laziness, but I have worked them back in starting today!

Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

I have a few questions about the form on serratus push-ups.

When i the do the exercise i don't feel it around my ribcage, it's more shoulders and core (i'm no bending my elbows). Is this the way they should feel, and if not, what could i be doing wrong? At the top the motion when the scapula are protracted, should my body look hollow as i was going into the planche? And also, i am supposed to depress my scapula during the push-ups?

Thanks :D .

Joshua Naterman

You should be doing some sets from depression + retraction to protraction + elevation and others with elevation+retraction to depression+protraction.

A lot of times this will feel like it is in the mid-upper lats further away from the spine, but it isn't. Doing these with one arm (spotting with the off arm) works even better, because this allows the shoulder blade to wrap around the rib cage in a full ROM. That might help.

If you are feeling it in your core and shoulders then that is where you are weakest right now. I'd do 1-2 sets of these nearly every day. Don't go all the way to failure, just feel it a bit.

You really want your spine to be perfectly straight, but that takes a lot of training and practice to achieve. In the meantime, just don't arch the back.

I have been working all these (one leg one arm push up, push up with a plus, one arm push up with a plus) with low volume, doing them each 1-2x per week as a part of my rehab and using the two arm version for a little warm up each day and I'm back to being able to do tuck PL push ups on the P-bars for 6-8 reps. Am doing one set of that once per week now.

Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

Thanks as usual Slizzardman :D !