elbow pain during BL

Started by John Dalton, October 26, 2011 · 10 Replies · 3,137 Views

John Dalton

Hi everyone

When I do back lever progressions, specially one leg extended BLs, I get this tearing and deep pain in my right elbow. It does not hurt much, but I would like to accept it as a sign that something is wrong. So can anyone tell me how to avoid this pain and keep progressing with my BLs.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cole Dano

Have you built up your German hang first?

Joshua Naterman

You need to stick with whatever position does not cause pain for at least 3 months before trying to move on, and you should definitely develop a proper German Hang if you have not done so.

John Dalton

Oh, I didn't know I had to wait at one progression for 3 months. I thought when you can hold a position for about 20s you can move to the next one. Is it the same for other progressions such as the planche, L-sit and handstand progressions?

Thanks again.

John Dalton

And how long should I be able to hold a german hang? And to strengthen my biceps for iron cross, should my palms be facing towards my head, towards my back or to my sides?

Thanks again.

Blairbob

We now recommend you are able to do 60s for the first progressions up to advanced tuck before moving on.

For BL, you should also have a solid ring turned out support. Being able to ring dip is a good idea as well.

That also means a 60s german hang. More flexible shoulder means less strain on the elbow. However, super flexible shoulders could simply mean unstable shoulders.

Your right elbow may also be weaker than your left. My left is weaker than my right generally even after I adjust it.

Building up slowly is to facilitate developing tendon strength.

Joshua Naterman

That's the magic of the SSC... it forces you to stay at the same level long enough for your connective tissue to fully adapt to what you are doing so that when you move on to a harder position or longer holds you get stronger instead of getting hurt.

John Dalton

Oh right, now I understand. One of the punishments for greed is joint pain. :lol:

Blairblob, I dont get it when you said that for the BL, you should have a solid ring turned out support. So when I am in the tuck BL, where should my palms be facing? And yeah, I can do ring dips, but not russian ring dips. Gotta work on those.

Hey slizzardman, first of all I want to tell you I'm impressed at your videos on youtube. Keep up the good work bro! What exactly is SSC?

Sorry if you guys find me a bit annoying, but I am new to gymnastics after my history with common weight training, so I've got to learn a lot.

Joshua Naterman

Steady State Cycle. If you don't have Coach's book you need it! Al this and a lot more is explained in there.

Eddie Stelling

Palms face down John. This strengthens the bicep tendon and allows you to progress to more advanced ring movements and/or string them together one day. But it's palms facing the floor.

Blairbob

John a strong RTO support is just a prequisite IMO before training should start on the BL.

I don't think this is mandated in the BtGB program. Just something I seem to notice while training my little guys for it.