Are my workouts intense enough to build muscle?

Started by Colibri, October 23, 2011 · 4 Replies · 3,909 Views

Colibri

Assuming I eat 500 calories more than maintenance on workout days? I usually have a 800~ calorie deficit (low carb paleo) and am nearing my goal weight.

Thing is, my goals are strength and body recomposition.

I follow the killroy70 plan, which is a 4 day WO. I'm a beginner so everything is starting from scratch.

It starts with FSP work and then FBE work. This is my WO log.

The question is, am I working out enough to warrant muscle growth, assuming I have a sensible diet in check? I don't want to look massively huge but something remotely close to the guy above would be nice!

Joshua Naterman

If you are doing more than your body is used to, consuming adequate calories, and consuming enough protein at the appropriate times then yes you will build muscle.

Read my nutrition thread to learn more about protein timing.

Killroy template is not designed to specifically build muscle, it is an introductory protocol that works well for beginners.

If you specifically want to build muscle you will either need to learn how to do so through self education, read the threads currently available, hope someone helps for free, or find someone who knows what they are doing and acquire their services for an acceptable price.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's how it is. What we do here is easily adaptable to efficient muscular gain.

Colibri
slizzardman said:
If you are doing more than your body is used to, consuming adequate calories, and consuming enough protein at the appropriate times then yes you will build muscle.

Read my nutrition thread to learn more about protein timing.

I am doing more than my body is used to, I'm not sure if the FSP work and the 5x5 FBE work is enough though. I could be on a caloric surplus and instead of hypertrophy, I could just be getting fatter.

slizzardman said:

Killroy template is not designed to specifically build muscle, it is an introductory protocol that works well for beginners.

If you specifically want to build muscle you will either need to learn how to do so through self education, read the threads currently available, hope someone helps for free, or find someone who knows what they are doing and acquire their services for an acceptable price.

I will tailor the template to my needs once I get my strength goals in check :) by then, I'll have leaned out more and have a good base of strength.

slizzardman said:

Sorry to be blunt, but that's how it is. What we do here is easily adaptable to efficient muscular gain.

Not being blunt at all, I'm happy you replied slizzardman! A physique like yours would be amazing (someday eh :D)

Thanks again slizzardman!

Joshua Naterman

Unless your diet and hormones are horribly screwed up a calorie deficit will not result in fat gain.

Colibri
slizzardman said:
Unless your diet and hormones are horribly screwed up a calorie deficit will not result in fat gain.

Oops, I meant a surplus. Gotta proof read what I say!