Am I not cut out for high bar? Hip circle issues.

Started by Tyler Phillips, October 19, 2011 · 4 Replies · 1,772 Views

Tyler Phillips

Hello all. This topic mainly concerns some problems I've had with doing some simple high bar work. I've had no problems swinging, doing pull-overs, casts, or anything of that sort (still working on my kip). What I have had problem with is my hip circles, specifically that I don't spin on the bar at the hips, but a little bit lower... A coach pointed out that due to my arms being as long as they are, my hands don't rest at my hips but actually down to crotch level. As such, when I do forward hip circles at full arm extension (usually right after a cast), they moreso become pain circles and I kind of lose the will to do anything else :( . The quick remedy to this is to not have full arm extension and thus break form, which for me is something I wouldn't want to abide by. The other option is to not do hip circles, but I imagine they're a crucial development move so I wouldn't want to get rid of them.

In any case, I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue and has any suggestions (a cup, maybe?). I like to practice all training modes when I'm at the gym and don't want to limit myself if I don't have to. Thanks again everyone.

Blairbob

Some kids will go wider in the grip with the arms.

In the circle action, we want the shoulders shrugged down but when we prep for the cast out of it, we want the shoulders shrugged up.

Tyler Phillips

So when you say shrugged down, you mean scapular depression (opposite of shrugging the shoulders) and elevation for shrugging up (typical shoulder shrug), or do I have that backwards? I'm assuming the shoulder girdle is engaged no matter what though.

Also, how wide a grip are you talking about? 1.5 shoulder length or so, or is that too much? Either way if that's the remedy then it means harder work too (I really whip around the bar when my hands are in close) - nothing to complain about though.

Blairbob

If your shoulders are shrugged up in support, there is no tension on the bar.

With many of our kids, the bar will be on mid thigh when the shoulders are pressed down. However when they are shrugged, they should lie on the hips so your body can pike and fold to cast out of.