First swing to HS on P-bars

Started by Finn Frank, October 18, 2011 · 6 Replies · 1,838 Views

Finn Frank

gzfXMgxEhro

These were my first attempts, where I actually try and don't wimp out and go do something else. Very glad I gave it ago and I'm pretty pleases with the initial result, although not so pleased with the bar shaped bruise on my left upper arm.

I can see myself that the handstand could be a lot straighter and maybe I need to shrug my shoulders more through the whole swing?

Any and all critique welcome and appreciated!

Blairbob

At the top of the swing, your body has to snap from a tight arch to a straight hollow. This action actually puts on the brakes and kills momentum so you don't end up going past HS (to your back). So you actually snap from arch to hollow before horizontal.

Your shoulders should be shrugged out at vertical HS.

Finn Frank

Thanks Blairbob,

So I swing back with a tight arch and as I pass horizontal, snap into a tight hollow position to stop in handstand :) sounds great.

Blairbob

Only in the beginning stage. Eventually the body should be straight. A slight tight arch is only allowable to encourage the athlete to drive the heels. It's used similar in a way to learning front layout.

Nic Scheelings

The front swing looks nice and extended so good work on that, but you look very floppy in the back swing need to tighten your body up. It's a really hard mix of both being relaxed enough to swing but also maintaining body tension.

Finn Frank
Demus said:
The front swing looks nice and extended so good work on that

Thanks Demus, I can definitely feel the German hand and reverse plank work coming into my forward swing :D.

Blairbob said:
Only in the beginning stage. Eventually the body should be straight. A slight tight arch is only allowable to encourage the athlete to drive the heels. It's used similar in a way to learning front layout.

Okay I'll try to keep the arch under control :)

I'm at gym tonight so I'll have another go at the swings. Just need to keep tight in the back swing! I'll have another video up tonight or tomorrow :)

p.s. How do you deal with over balance if you need to bail out? Roll to upper arms? Pirouette off?

Thanks a lot guys

Blairbob

A pirouette or upper arm roll/shoulderstand.

If you know how to go to shoulderstand or upper arm, you can save going through the bars by simpling straddling your legs.

Generally I teach how to do this with a set of spotting/P-blocks first. Kids love this drill and you can work something similar like a shoulderstand on rings with them.