So is this how an ideal SSC would work?

Started by Bradmelon, October 16, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,073 Views

Bradmelon

Ok, let's say for instance I can hold a good/decent 10 second advanced l-sit (which I'm not too sure i can do), and so I then proceed to cut that time in half (12 sets of 5 second holds) and use that as my max hold time 3x a week (mon,weds,fri) for 4 weeks with no changes even if I feel like it.

Skip forward 4 weeks, and it's starting to get a bit easier now. I would then add 2-3 seconds to that max hold time and do that for another 4 weeks with the same schedule. (7 sets of 8 second holds)

Skip forward 8 weeks since I began, and I find that the l-sit is getting easier once again, and so I decide to add yet again another 2-3 seconds to my holds; again, no change to schedule for another 4 weeks. (5 sets of 11 second holds)

4 weeks later, it's already been 12 weeks since I began, making this a fully completed cycle, and I find that my maximum hold time for one set has increased drastically, from which I then cut half of the time out again and start a new cycle all over again with the same progression.

Does this sound good to you guys? Don't take it too seriously, this was just an example.

Blairbob

After 8 weeks, just test it again and base your training on that.

SSC are supposed to last 8 weeks. Overload, load, underload. Not just overload, load, overload. Thing is L and HS is probably not that difficult on the connective compared to the levers and planche.

Cole Dano

Once you start the cycle don't change anything. Coach Sommer recommends 8-12 week cycles.

For the lower elements one might get away with 6 week cycles. The whole point of the SSC is not to keep adjusting, but to give the body time to go through the complete adaptation cycle.

One thing i'm not so sure about is the need to cut max times by 50%. This came about as part of using the FSPs for warm up so as not to be overly fatigued for the 'main workout'. If you are working specifically on FSPs you might only cut to 80% (an example). This will give more intensity in the beginning of the cycle and perhaps less of a feeling you need to change after only 4 weeks.