Questions regarding direct abdonimal training

Started by Aaron Griffin, October 9, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,691 Views

Aaron Griffin

I know a lot of direct abdominal work isn't required, but I feel like my abs are limiting me in a lot of work.

So what I want to talk about is direct ab training. Historically, trainers have treated the abs as a high-rep body part, which might even be trained every day. I'm thinking of boxing trainers who, still to this day, make their fighters do hundreds of situps every single day.

I have a desire to do something of the sort, to see if I can quickly shore up my lagging core strength. Without attempting this, I wrote down the following circuit, to be done daily, in an attempt to emulate this boxing-trainer style:


3 circuits of:
Hollow Hold (60s or failure)
Tuck V-Ups (to failure)
Reverse Crunches (to failure)

But, this may or may not be idiotic. I'm mishmashing different styles of training. I'll still do normal ab work (HLRs, V-Ups) in my workouts.

What say you? Do you have opinions on daily ab training? Are there any exercises which might be more beneficial? I specifically chose easier progressions so that I could hit higher reps. Would pike and straddle leg lifts make good additions here?

Ian Legrow

From what i have always heard, I would not recommend going to failure. Those exercises seem good to me and they will definitely help but if anything I would recommend increasing the number of sets. Liek Hollow hold 6X10s or 3x30s. OF course with the hollow hold, i have heard some people do 3x60s. So you could do 18x10s or 6x30s. When it comes to gymnastics Failure is not nessicary to build a lot fo strength. I would increase the sets and reps for the tuck v-ups too. See how it works out! :)

-Ian

Cole Dano

Not a big fan of to failure, particularly if you plan to do it everyday. Leave some gas in the tank and let time and volume do the work. Otherwise, the basic plan is fine.

Ab Wheels are great and cheap as well.

Aaron Griffin

Well, to be clear, I don't really mean "Failure" with a capital F. I guess I should probably notate it as "max reps" rather than "failure"