This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dynamic Strengh Development Question

Started by juiop, October 9, 2011 · 7 Replies · 92 Views

juiop

I have been reading (and constantly re-reading) the booklet given to us at the seminar and saw the section "Dyn Strength Dev" appear 6 times addressing the following:

- Basic Tumbling

- Basic Upper Body

- Basic Tumbling 2

- Legs

- Basic Tumbling 3

- Swing Dips

My question is, how would you integrate this into the program? For example, I understand the FSP is to be done prior to the WOD as a warm up and the LS series done in a structure dependent on the WOD. But I dont know how the Dynamic Strength Development section is suppose to be structured. I also dont really understand what things like Tumbling does to aid the WOD.

Any feedback on this would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Nic Scheelings

The tumbling that we did at the Aus seminar was very basic and really more of a warmup and I guess for general co-ordination. However it also had progressions to go through so you can also use it a measure of your progress, how competent you are with this basic tumbling.

As far as dynamic strength development goes this is addressed in the WOD's with dynamic pushing/pulling and legs often being a recurrent theme. Coach also told me that more advanced athletes could perform place things like Swing to Handstand on p-bars or giant swings on high bar in their dynamic strength days.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Blairbob

Swinging can be used in place of the cone sprints at the beginning of the dynamic WODS to get the heart rate up.

Basic tumbling isn't really dynamic work. However, tumbling series of handsprings or connected tumbling or vaulting is quite dynamic.

Joshua Naterman

Depending on how far into Hungarian you guys got, and how strong you are, you may want to start working on some of the upper body plyo stuff from hungarian. You definitely want to start slowly working into calf bounces, some sort of jumping rope program like Buddy Lee's is a very good idea for lower leg prep.

juiop

How about the "Dyn Strength Dev - Basic Upper Body" Section which includes:

- Support Holds

- Support Walks (Ag Walks, Support Slides)

- PH Tuck Thrus, PB Spt Walks, HS Wall Runs, HS Walks and several L-sit walk/movement exercises

These seem quite beneficial to do. Wouldnt it be good to also integrate some or all of these into our training?

Nic Scheelings

I'm not sure I understand the question. These exercises do come up in the WODS so they are incorporated into your training. Do you mean in your warmup? if so then yes sometimes they could go in your general warmup as well.

If you train at a gymnastics facility (in my experience anyway) this sort of thing comes up regularly in warmups and general conditioning. We also went over all these exercises at the Aus seminar (where you at the aus one?)

juiop
Demus said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. These exercises do come up in the WODS so they are incorporated into your training. Do you mean in your warmup? if so then yes sometimes they could go in your general warmup as well.

If you train at a gymnastics facility (in my experience anyway) this sort of thing comes up regularly in warmups and general conditioning. We also went over all these exercises at the Aus seminar (where you at the aus one?)

Sorry, I think I am still not understanding the WOD completely. I guess the way I saw it was, there is the warm up exercises, prehab exercises, the FSP and then the WOD. Thats all i know off. But then when I looked through the book I also do see stuff like rope climbing, tumbling etc and I am not sure if thats suppose to be integrated into the workout or if its already in the WOD (I dont seem to see it in the WOD).

I have not done the WOD yet. I was doing the killroy70 routine. Only after the Aus Seminar (Unfortunately, i could only attend one - level 1) did I realize that the WOD was better.

I also forgot a lot of the exercises and their technique :(.

Edward Smith

Julop,

Unfortunately that makes it a bit harder to explain to you then.

Essentially here's how it works, at least as I understand it, you do the warm-up exercises, the floor pre-hab routine (wrist and shoulder), the FSP, basic tumbling, appropriate shoulder routine, WOD.*

* this is assuming some sort of upperbody WOD, if it were a leg day you would do the knee pre-hab routine and/or possibly the calf routine.

The WOD is supposed to be the actual HARD working exercises of your workout.

When the a dynamic WOD comes up you can add in some of the appropriate dynamic work from the syllabus as a sort of specific warm-up (almost like FSP's for dynamic strength).

This is my understanding anyway,

Ed