Australian Protein Shake ooohhh yeah

Started by newguy5000, October 7, 2011 · 9 Replies · 4,084 Views

newguy5000

Hey all. This post is for any Australian members as it is only available in Australia.

I am a very lean guy so when i train and need extra protein and calories i sometimes find it hard to eat as much as i need to. I've never been able to stomach protein shakes from the store, they taste crap and i think i might have a slight lactose intolerance or something as it makes me a bit sick if i have lots of them with milk as well.

Anyway. Along with doing some basic beginner gymnastic bodies work - L sits / handstands / beginner statics, i deadlift and squat and with my busy work schedule i was eating way under what i needed to be taking in.

My girlfriend works out at a crossfit place and came home with this new protein shake called 180 natural protein superfood. It's basically whey protein and nuts and seeds, that's it. I thought i would try it out and i mix 2 cups of milk with the protein superfood plus some ice cubs and a couple of handfuls of frozen blueberries and blend it all together.

Anyway, long story short. It's freaking delicious and i have 2 - 3 of these shakes a day and now that i am eating where i need to be for my training, i have noticed some great improvements in recovery and strength the last few weeks.

I'm not one for product endorsement, just thought i would share my experience you can google the brand if you want to try it out.

newguy5000

oh and when i mention great recovery and strength gains - i don't mean to say that the shake is suddenly making me strong, just that i am now taking in the appropriate caloric intake for my body and that has made a big difference compared to my previous undereating.

Blairbob

I think came across it or something like it over on PerformanceMenu. Seemed expensive.

newguy5000

Cost me $59.95 Aus for a tub. That's cheaper than the average protein supplements over here. I don't think they ship outside Australia. It's just a small Aus company i think. A lot of the crossfitters like it cause it fits in with paleo.

Blairbob

Yeah. I'm probably just spoiled over here in America. In general, our supplements don't cost nearly what they do in other countries.

newguy5000

damn wish we had cheap supplements. You run into 60 - 80 bucks for a protein mix here. More if you have to order something like internationally.

Joshua Naterman

That's awesome man! Glad you are able to see the benefits of getting enough food around the workout! :)

Nic Scheelings

Thanks for the heads up, been looking for something new. I like the looks of the ingredients. Does Look a little expensive to me but maybe if you get some friends together and buy in bulk it might be ok.

Edward Smith

First of all, to quote Juijuimufu, if you have your protein with milk your not hardcore.

Next, I've found a good company to be Professional Whey. Cheap prices, can get a variety of sizes and has got a decent range. It is unflavoured so what I do is I get the whey concentrate and just add some cocoa bought from the supermarket, otherwise it's pretty gross.

newguy5000

yeah well that's the thing - flavour is important to me. I just can't stomach shitty tasting protein shakes. I'll be like yeah need some more protein buy a shake tub and barely make it through a few weeks of taking them regularly.

I've been drinking this for over 3 weeks now and still not sick of the flavour. I tried other berries to blend in, but nothing beats blueberries. With 2 cups of whole milk and a bunch of blueberries it comes out at about 530 caleries.

More recently, i have changed my diet up. I only take the shake on my work out days and try and source the extra protein and caleries from normal food sources. I'm going to switch to eating 6 small meals a day instead and going in to see a mate who is a sports dietician so i can get my body fat measured on this device called bodymetrix and get a proper meal plan going.

What's weird is since i starting eating more i have put on 2kgs pretty quickly. Some of that is fat of course, but definitely muscle too, my upper body and shoulders in particular look way bigger. I never realised how shitty my eating was. I was taking in about 1500 cals a day with my natural appetite at 65 /66 kgs 5ft 7. Now i eat about 2500cals and i'm packing muscle on. I use an iphone app called my fitness pal to track my food and caleries which is pretty fun to use.