This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jason's new guy training journal

Started by Jason D, October 5, 2011 · 9 Replies · 1,016 Views

Jason D

My basic plan is to work these 4 statics: handstand, planche progression (frog), l-sit, front lever (tuck).

Here's my stats: 34yo, 6'2", 230 and dropping.

Im a pretty big guy, lifting weights and shoveling the food has blown me up from 175 a year ago. I got into training originally using bodyweight stuff and I looked and felt alot better at 175.

I have medial epicondylitis in my left elbow, and starting in my right, so no pulling movements. I've been squatting 3x a week and trying to get the olympic lifts down, I will continue the 3x a week at the gym doing alot of squats, prowler, sled drags, sandbag carries.

I have been doing my bodyweight workouts basically every other day, but at least once a week focus only on handstands. Only working them off the wall at this point, at about a minute max hold now. My other stats on the statics are about 30 sec frog, 7 sec L, and 10 on the tucked (very) front lever. I do rehab/prehab for my shoulders and have terrible flexibilty, especially hips and hamstrings.

Main goals: 2x bodyweight squat, freestanding handstand, pistol, press to handstand, 30 second L sit. I'm sure I'll have new ones once I get those. I want to be at level 3 on the skills list, by 40. Dropping weight will be easy, I have a background in endurance sports and know how to eat. By next summer I want to be absolutely shredded, walking on my hands. I'll throw my last workouts for the week or so next post.

Jason D

Here's my notes from the last couple weeks, I'll keep in short and simple in the future.

Statics 

Handstand 

Frog stand 

L-sit

Pull-ups 

9/23 

Hstand :33

Frog stand :6 (:30+ total)

9/24  

At park

Pullups 5x5 

Dips 5x5 

1xskin the cat

3xring support x:10 

At home 

Hstandx:30

Frogx:30

9/26 

Hstand 2x :20

Frog 5x :10

Gathering x10

Headstand x1 long hold 

9/28

Hstand 3x15'

Front lev tuck 3x10'

Frog 3x10'

10x pullup

Later at work 3x10 fs

3x10 fl, 15-20 box jumps, 10-15 broad jumps. 

9/30

Handstand 3x:20=:60

frog/front lever 3x:10=30

Pushup/fx row x10,8,6,4,2=30 

Gatherings x10

10/1

Handstand 6x :20

L-sit tuck x:10, Lx:7

Boat x:15

Plank x:30

10/3

Handstand 4x:15

L-sit tuck 6x:10

Frog 3x:20

F.lev tuck x:5,:10,:10

Pullup x10 (7+3)

compress hip flex x5

Reverse wrist curl w/pl 5x

10/5 

HS 6x:20

L 6x:10

Frog :60 total

Inverted hang 1x:60

Ab/hip flexor x?

Boats x?

 

Jason D

10/7

Hs 6x:20

L 6x:10 

F 3x:20

Ih 1x:60

Headstand x:60 

Bridge x:20 head 2x:10 on hands

Reverse pl wrist curl x20

10/9 at park 

Dips 3x10 

Pushup x25

Pullup x10 

L-hang 3x :5

 

At home 

Handstand 6x:20, 8x:15=4:00

Kettle bell series;

Rt hand swing x20

Lft hand swing x20

Goblet squat x20

2hand swing x20

Jason D

10/13

Changing it up a bit following more learning on here-

Static tests:

Plank x:60

Reverse plank x:40

Hollow hold x:60

Arch x:40

Chin grip hang x:60

I think I could hit :60 on pb support, but not on my paralletes.

Reverse plank hurts my bum elbow, arch holds are killer, my legs can't get even close to together, hope that's ok. can't do fingers forward on reverse plank but will work on it, hopefully the elbow improves.

Handstand against wall 6x:20

Reverse plank 3x:20

Arch 3x:20

Hollow 3x:30

I think this basic stuff will keep me busy for a while.

Jason D

Tried the PB support hold, 1 minutes not bad, probably the only move I could get 3x:60 in besides maybe the plank.

Im wondering of there's any sub for the PB support since I can't do them at home, or if the rings would be an ok substitute, and if I should not really do any until my elbows better anyway. Probably just leave it out for now and add ag walks instead.

Brutus

I will pay attention to your log.

I am a beginner in gymnastic and bodyweight training at my 33 years old, so it will be very useful to compare progressions.

I was not doing reverse planks or hollows and I think I will include them on my routine

Jason D

Yeah I didn't see those statics before and thought I'd start with planche progression (frog) and front lever (tuck) which probably aggravated my elbow tendinitis. Us older guys gotta be careful, I'm 34 and probably alot bigger than most guys doing this, so slow is good. I definately feel this way of training is superior to what I was doing. From now on my statics are:

Plank, reverse plank, hollow/arch hold, and instead of PB support I'll do l-sit (tuck) and of course handstands are priority 1.

I wanna hit 3x:60 on all the statics. For now I'm gonna rehab my elbow and take it easy for a couple weeks. Thanks for checking out my log. I'll check yours out too.

Jason D

10/21

Plank, reverse plank, hollow, arch

3x:20 each 

Handstand 6x:20

Inv hang, chin hang 2x:30

10/23

Plank, reverse plank, hollow, arch, chin grip hang 3x:30

Handstand 4x:30

Pushup/ring row 3x10

10/25 

Plank, reverse plank, hollow, arch, chin grip hang 3x:30

Handstand 6x:20

Pushup/ring row 3x10

10/25 is the exact workout I will follow for a while. Ran a bit this morning, just a couple miles. I will be mixing running, heavy carries and drags for conditioning. Gonna drag a sled with sandbags and a kid or 2 when the snow comes.

Jason D

Same workouts but did 20 dips/ 20 pullups Friday and 25 dips today. That's a new PR for dips and 30 I know is doable on a stiff set of bars. The pullups were rest pause, I can only get 20 if I kip 10 of em. Snows on the ground so sled drags are coming soon as I get my sled and harness.

Jason D

Still hitting the basic statics 4-5x a week. When I do

pullups/pushups 2x a week I've been doing 20/50 in as few sets

as is practical, like : pullups 10,5,3,2 pushups doing

15,15,10,10. Figure I should work up to doing that in

one set as a good foundation like the 3x:60' holds.

Have been doing alot of headstands and it's helped

with my handstand. Going to be adding in Olympic

lifting starting Friday, 3x a week.