This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Post-seminar workout log

Started by Edward Smith, October 4, 2011 · 13 Replies · 213 Views

Edward Smith

I am starting a workout log here, to both help myself and others get a better understanding of how to put what was learned at the seminar into practice and develop a better workout.

So firstly, this is a work in progress and the structure of the workouts will change and evolve, especially in the beginning. Please feel free to comment on the structure of the workouts and provide any ideas or constructive criticisms. Also, please note I am using a delayed schedule where I am a week behind on the WOD's (this is because I usually workout in the morning and the current WOD is not posted by that [Australian] time)

Monday-had a rest day after the seminar on the weekend

Tuesday 4th October (110927)

Warm up:

2 rounds of- run, clap push ups, goblet squats, concentric pull ups (just a small aerobic/activation circuit)

Arm swings, pike-to-squat bounces, standing straddle swings

Wrist routine

Floor shoulder series (seal stretch, cat stretch, capsule, etc.)

HBH (60s), ABH (60s), HBR (30r), ABR(30r)

FSP's- L-sit (4x15s), Low Straddle-L (4x15s), Low MSH (2x15s)

3x3 Towel Pull Ups (no rope)

Bodyline work- worked up to caterpillar walks

Ido's Shoulder Routine

WOD:

10 Cast Wall Walks (broken up but with little rest, probably at most 30secs)

1x5 Negative HS Wall Pike Press (approx 5-8seconds per rep)

1x5 Straight-arm HeS Pike Press (+2.5kg)

1x5 Straight-arm HeS Straddle Press (no rest between this and the HeS Pike presses simply dropped the weight, this was done so I still get some exposure to straddle press not due to fatigue)

10 HS Wall Runs

5mins Wall HS (aggregate)

Pre-hab:

Weighted Shoulder routine- Dislocates with bar, dorsal grip dislocates with stick, Xiao pengs, windmills, Pike shoulder flex pulls

Took me just under 2 hours, about 1:50. This can be brought down to 1:30 easily, once I know exactly what I'm doing that day, today was a bit of fluffing around with what routines to use. And hopefully I can get it down to about 1:15 when I'm stronger/fitter.

The bodyline work will be substituted day to day depending on the WOD/what I feel like doing with basic tumbling or basic dynamic push work or basic dynamic leg work, etc.

EDIT: I have put the date the WOD was posted on along with the date i performed the WOD, it's in the form of YY/MM/DD

Scott Malin

It'll be fun to see your progress. Was this your first seminar? I remember you've been around since pretty much the beginning when I was just a forum lurker and not even registered :)

Adam Bodestyne

Ed, would you incorporate something like the side-lunges-with-half-press-in-the-middle into your warmup if the WOD itself hadn't called for doing HS press work?

Also, I apologise since this isn't a comment on the workout itself, but perhaps since you're doing the WODs slightly out of time with them being posted, perhaps just putting the date of the WOD you're actually performing (eg 111004) might be useful. I dunno. Now I write this, maybe it's not actually useful at all. :P

Edward Smith

Thanners,

I can't remember the side-lunge with half-press, could you describe it for me?

Ed

Adam Bodestyne
ed x said:
Thanners,

I can't remember the side-lunge with half-press, could you describe it for me?

Ed

I'm not sure if side-lunge is actually the proper term, but it was where you'd squat down deep onto one side, with your other leg stretched out to the other side.. maybe half-split is a better way to describe it. And then we'd shift from side to side, trying to keep hips as low as possible.

After that, while shifting from side-to-side, you'd add a half-press to handstand (or headstand, in my case), so you'd stretch to one side, then shift your body back to centre, drop into a straddled half-press handstand, hold it a couple of seconds, drop back to your feet, and then stretch down to the other side.

Edward Smith

Ow, I understand what you mean by the side-lunge now. A cossack squat.

I don't remember adding a press into this, was it on the third day? Damn daylight savings.

Adam Bodestyne
ed x said:
Ow, I understand what you mean by the side-lunge now. A cossack squat.

I don't remember adding a press into this, was it on the third day? Damn daylight savings.

Might have been.. for some reason my second and third days blur together a little bit in my memory. (c:

I do definitely remember doing it during one of the days warmups, though.

Julian Aldag

Ha! You totally got owned by day light savings! Oh well, it was bound to happen to someone!

Good idea to keep a log. When I get back from China, I might come down to Wesley and jam with you guys.

I could also show you some cool rope stuff you may like :)

Jules

Nic Scheelings

Ed I'm pretty sure we did the half press on day two as well. I'll show you on fri if you like.

Jules that would be awesome, man you get to go to some cool places!

Blythe Tait

Yep, Day 2.

Ed, I just did that workout today and it is ALMOST IDENTICAL! The main difference is that instead of Ido's shoulder routine, I did the Weighted Shoulder Routine in its place and just made sure it was kind of light. I'm not sure if that could be too much work prior to a workout, but I liked the weight for bringing my awareness to the full shoulder ROM ready for handstands...What does everyone else think?

Biggest difference in my workouts so far (all two of them) has been the extra time taken because of including prehab and a decent warmup (before, I'd do a 500m row, that's it. :shock: ). So, same for me, a little under two hours.

Great to see some WODS from Aussie attendees, thanks, Ed!

Edward Smith

Didn't workout on thursday, was too busy.

Friday 7th October (110930)

Warm Up:

Skipping

General movements (arm swings, pike-to-squat, cossack squat with half straddle press, etc.)

Wrist routine

Floor Shoulder series

Stall bar Shoulder routine, alternated with some pike and pancake stretching on the stall bars

40xHBR, 40xABR

Basic tumbling (working through forward and backward rolls, cartwheels, bridge rotations)

FSP's- 15sec L-sit, 15sec Low Straddle-L, 15sec MSH, 2x30sec Wall HS

Basic dynamic legs

Technical:

10 minutes of some real basic tricking, done at a pretty relaxed pace

WOD:

3x Ring strength series (2 Muscle Ups, Support, 2 360 Pulls)

5x15sec Tuck Front Lever

5x15sec L-sit (on really low paralletes)

5x15sec Adv Tuck Back Lever

Stretching:

30 sec Pike on Stall bars

30sec Elevated Bridge

I'll post some notes and question surrounding the workout tomorrow.

Edward Smith

Saturday 8th October

Did the shoulder Pre-hab routine (from te first day that Coach Sommer suggested doing once a week) minus the support shrugs and inverted shrugs

Sunday 9th October

Went down to the park and warmed up (pretty similar to the other day's), including knee pre-hab routine and dynamic leg stretches.

Basic Tumbling

Dynamic leg (double and single leg bounding, rebounding)

Basic Tricking

Did about half the seated hungarian series while watching the rugby (so it wasn't that crazy a pace, but f*&% me it's hard)

Monday 10th October (111003)

Warm up:

Running

General movements

Wrist routine

Floor Shoulder series

60s ABH & HBH, 30r HBR & ABR

20s L-sit, Low Straddle-L and Low MSH

REALLY short basic tumbling (space restrictions)

Weighted shoulder routine

30s Wall HS

WOD:

3 sets each of-

XR shoulderstand lower to 15s L-sit + 5 XR Dips

Inverted hang lower to 15s Tuck Back Lever + 5 inverted Pull Ups

inverted hang lower to 15s Tuck Front Lever + 6 XR HLL

Stretching/Pre-hab:

2x30s Elevated Bridge

1x10 Jefferson Curls

Still trying to figure out what todo each workout, bit tricky.

I assume the basic tumbling is supposed to be done every workout?

Not quite sure what to do (in terms of dynamic strength or bodyline), if anything, before the basic strength and ring strength WOD?

Also, wondering how to do implement working the FSP's at the start of workouts and whether the Wall HS would be amongst the others (L-sit, Straddle L, MSH)?

I suggest everyone do the 'saturday' pre-hab routine, made my shoulders feel really good. Nice and lose, seemed to help my posture a bit as well.

Craig Rackemann

Hey Ed, thanks for posting your post seminar workouts.

After the seminar I've started doing the FSP warmups again which I had dropped for a while. I've gone all the way back to HBH/ABH and Plank/Reverse Plank for my warmups but I'm a bit confused as to how to pick appropriate progressions for the WODs.

How do you choose which FSP progression you use for the actual WOD itself?

Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

If a WOD has FSP work in it you do the actual FSP if you are strong enough. For example, if it calls for 15s planche you would do tuck planche if you can, and if you can't get the 15s just push to where you're close to failure but not quite there. On the last set you should fail.

WODs are not FSP progressions, they are strength work and so the prerequisites are not going to be used there unless you can not do the FSP properly, in which case the appropriate prerequisite work should be subbed in. For PL it should be PL leans, and for a BL or FL I would simply have my hips higher than they are supposed to be if I couldn't do a proper tuck BL or FL. However high they need to be for me to get my 15s hold, that's where they would be.