I am training 1 arm dislock swings in aerial straps at the moment, and i wonder i gymnasts do any extra shoulder work to protect the shoulders when working dislock or giant swing? Im doing a lot of band dislocks to improve flexibility, as well as a lot of small swings to condition the shoulder.
conditioning/prehab for swing work
Started by Mikael Kristiansen, September 28, 2011 · 6 Replies · 3,956 Views
Mmm, haven't tried one arm dislocations on straps. But I think that if you have your back meat hook in strength from hanging, your shoulder should be able to hold it. I think I'd probably hang on the straps by one arm, grab some weight with my other hand, and socket my shoulder in and out, to strengthen my shoulder.
Can you do a slow inlocate? I am working on these with a tiny bit of foot support and hopefully building up to doing it without my feet.
I can pull to both front and back meathooks several times and i have a solid 1 arm back lever, so i believe the general strenght is there. Im more interested in any specific inury prevention work that might be used. Doing weighted scapula depressions might be smart.
I cannot dislockate as im far from flexible enough to do it. 1 arm swings are also different in that you do not really need to pass through the dislock itself as much because you fall kind of sideways from your arm. Im also interested in the bio mechanics of swings. For example, which muscles are the most exposed to the force of the swing, and what are the most common injuries from bad technique/insufficient conditioning?
I'm not sure, but I'd bet on a huge amount of lats. Do you have your one arm pull-up, and do you work planche pull-ups? Just to get some extra scapula strength...
Hey, otherwise, how did you learn your back meat hook from dead hang? I'm not training specifically for them, but the other day, I pulled several front meat hooks just like that, cause I saw it on a video. For the back meat hook, I'm not sure exactly how to learn it. I can easily go into it from back lever, but I'm not sure exactly how to get there from dead hang, I get lost if I try it. Do you have any advices or can you indicate me a video where you see it being done slowly enough to see the technique well? My one arm back lever isn't very solid, I can hold it like 2-3 seconds only.
Best conditioning is doing a proper basic swing technique!! Do it alot!
i have found this video of someone,
which seems very helpful for learning swings, inlocate, dislocate...
helped me get better at it
also these:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/Rings/Z/riz001
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/Rings/A/ria002
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/Rings/A/ria001
and just watching jovtchev, van gelder, ....
doing swings in slow motion, to see exactly how it's done , step by step
also swinging from support, and then on the swing back, you extend your body, and fall into a front swing,
while your coach stops you exactly before the lowest part of the swing,
or you can put mattress beneath you at a height you can stop yourself in the middle
also training swings on the high bar, and p bars, can help for conditioning,
though the technique is different
about the slow dislocate from hang, it's uncomfortable at first, but after couple of months doing it,
you will forget about it, and just do it easly,
but you need to make shoulder flexibility a priority,
it's really important , also hamstring flexibility, for stuff like kip, also splits, for straddle planche,
but shoulder flexibility is the most important