This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110922

Started by Coach Sommer, September 22, 2011 · 11 Replies · 2,244 Views

Coach Sommer

pKMnv7eEsnQ

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Half FL Pulls

1 Embedded L-sit + 5 Tempo PL Dips

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier MPPu/MPPr variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) NOTE: When scaling always adjust the difficulty of the FBE so that you will be able to maintain the correct tempo, sets and reps as designated in that day’s GB WOD.

3) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets. As such, for the L-sit Lifts the breakdown of the tempo will be a 3 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a controlled 3 second descent.

6) Add weight as necessary to the any of the exercises to make them very challenging for the five repetitions.

7) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7194

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req Warmup

WOD: Rests as rx'd

15s German Hang/5 Tempo Pull ups(4 pallet band)*

15s L-sit low/5 Tempo Dips(2 full, 3 foot assist on ascent only)

15s L-sit Hang tuck/5 Tempo tuck V-ups

10 BWW(5 to floor, 5 about halfway)

NOTES:

-Warm up sets=2x5-pushups/body rows(145 degrees) then Dip Negatives/Body rows full*

-Pulls very hard(tried 3 bands 2nd round, but there was no way I would keep it up)

-Dips even harder...

-Tuck V-ups even even harder, but everything felt good.

*I still feel like I'm not getting enough pure strength work in the rowing/horizontal pulling. Sometimes I feel I should alternate between rowing and pull ups each time a FL type pull comes around in a strength workout, but I feel like I'm making progress in the pull-ups and don't want to loose it. Maybe just a few sets of rows in my warmups every WO day? Any suggestions welcome.

Coach Sommer

In this situation including submaximal rows in your daily warmup is an excellent idea.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Samuel Carr

In the video of the L-sit Lifts above, it doesn't look like that guy is keeping his arms locked through the lift (they're rotating inwards)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Back Squats 75% + 10# x 7 x 5

Complete 3 sets of each:

60s Back Arch Hold + 5 Tempo Half FL Pulls

15s L-sit on PBars + 5 Tempo PL Dips

60s Hollow Hold + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts (scaled it after reading essay but it still sucked...)

Finished the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Josh Schmitter
Coach Sommer said:
In this situation including submaximal rows in your daily warmup is an excellent idea.

Much thanks for the reassurance and taking the time. It's still somewhat amazing to me that I was just given personal workout advice from one of the most respected, knowledgeable gymnast coaches around...and, on top of that, completely FREE. Never take it for granted.

Matthew Mossop

When doing Bulgarian dips (I substituted them for PL dips), should you ever lower deeper than when your upper arm is parallel to the floor? Seems very doable, but maybe it's bad for the shoulder or something?

Also, when doing BL's I feel this incredible pressure on my chest depending on the position of my hips. When in a tuck BL and I keep my hips a little higher then my shoulders it feels as though my chest and my rib cage are suffocating my lungs. It's not that bad or anything, but I'm just wondering if this is normal. If I drop my hips a bit this goes away mostly. In BtGB though the guy's hips are a little higher in the tuck BL.

Coach Sommer
When doing Bulgarian dips (I substituted them for PL dips), should you ever lower deeper than when your upper arm is parallel to the floor? Seems very doable, but maybe it's bad for the shoulder or something?

This is a common misconception by people who are allowing the elbows to drift back behind the upper body during their Bulgarian Dips. If your upper arms are perpendicular to the torso and you can draw a straight line from the left elbow thru the shoulder girdle to right elbow then it is not possible to descend much past horizontal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matthew Mossop

Ok thanks for the reply coach. I'll be mindful of trying to keep my elbows in line.

Mark Plas

My WOD:

1) 1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Half FL Pulls

Both of these were done in tuck.

2) 1 Embedded L-sit + 5 Tempo PL Dips

15 seconds L-Sit on PB with knees locked and heels 10 cm above bars.

The PL Dips turned out to be more or less normal (deep) dips on PB. I tried to lean forward at the top while trying to lift my hips, but I wasn't very successful at that. The reason being that I can't do a tuck planche yet (I can't do a tuck planche at all!). I'll have to replace this with normal dips + PPP as two separate exercises.

3) 1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts

15 seconds tuck FL

I can only lift my legs to about 30 degrees above horizontal. I can do HLL though, but I'm not sure if there is a direct connection between the two. I think L-Sit lifts require a good deal of triceps strength on top of core strength. I have a feeling I may need to lean back a bit more to get my legs straight up, and probably some more active flexibility is also needed.

Mark Plas
mattk said:

Also, when doing BL's I feel this incredible pressure on my chest depending on the position of my hips. When in a tuck BL and I keep my hips a little higher then my shoulders it feels as though my chest and my rib cage are suffocating my lungs. It's not that bad or anything, but I'm just wondering if this is normal. If I drop my hips a bit this goes away mostly. In BtGB though the guy's hips are a little higher in the tuck BL.

Hi mattk,

How long you have been training the BL? Are you just starting? When I first tried it about a year ago, I couldn't breathe either, and my eyes felt like they were going to pop out. Just a few trainings later though, the suffocating stopped, although the eyes still wanted to pop out :shock:

So, if you're new to training a BL, it will soon pass.

Matthew Mossop

Thanks Mark.

I don't ever really train BL (other than when in the WOD's)... I'm still working on German Hang. Although I think I'm just about ready to start on them. Good to know the suffocating will pass, lol.