Leg Strength- Single Leg Squats Enough?

Started by Evilllamas, September 18, 2011 · 8 Replies · 5,244 Views

Evilllamas

Hi

For my leg FBE's all I'm doing is single leg squats- I can see how they would benefit the quads and glutes etc- and the calves don't concern me as sports I'm involved with keep them ticking over, but do they strengthen the hamstrings at all?

I can't do the hamstring specific exercises, where you need your feat anchored as there's no where for me to anchor them- or anyone to hold them- and I can't imagine this type of movement occurring in nature...

In addition- would the single leg squats strengthen the muscle on the shin (no idea of the name) as other than hanging like a bat from my pull up bar (going to end badly, I know) I can't see how I'd strengthen that...

Thanks

Joshua Naterman
Evilllamas said:

I can't do the hamstring specific exercises, where you need your feat anchored as there's no where for me to anchor them- or anyone to hold them- and I can't imagine this type of movement occurring in nature...

Take a pipe, wrap two belts or other straps around it, and stick it under your door with the straps under the door on your side. The pipe should be positioned so that it pulls the door closed when you pull on the straps. Stick your heels inside the straps, adjust height to your liking, and put padding under your knees. For me several folded towels works best. Now work your hamstrings!

In addition- would the single leg squats strengthen the muscle on the shin (no idea of the name) as other than hanging like a bat from my pull up bar (going to end badly, I know) I can't see how I'd strengthen that...

1) Put right heel on chair with toes pointing off.

2) Hang bag full of desired amount of weight (books, dirt, whatever) just behind the does. Lift.

Repeat with other foot.

Philip Chubb

Hang your rings from a bar and do an inverted hang. Then you can put your feet on the bar and do the toe pull ups with your hands giving you a spot. Eventually, you won't need the spot.

Joshua Naterman

Nice variation!

Philip Chubb

Thanks Slizzardman! Credit actually goes to Marlon for it though. Great ankle prehab and it's fun to hang there and talk to people when you get good!

Julekman

yea that variation (heels on the middle height bar and hands on the floor or rings) is excellent for combine Hespu with work on the hamstrings, just shift bodyweight up or down.

sean.albo

If you're interested in doing hamstring/harop curls, just get one of those cheap doorway pullup bars that screws outward, and jam it in the bottom of your doorway, at ankle height. No, as you say, it's not a natural movement, but either is typing. :shock:

Gerald Mangona

I, too, have been searching for progressions to do GHR's. The best I've found for my level of intensity is to lie flat on your back, extend one leg straight, and put the other foot on a 3 foot box. Now using *only* the strength from driving your heel into the box, raise your butt and back off the floor until your back is straight and you are in an arch position. Fight the temptation to use any "hip thrusting" motions to give you momentum.

You may decrease the intensity by lowering the height of the box. You may increase the intensity by doing it on a rubber ball.

Good luck!

Evilllamas

Thanks for all the input- the `bat hangs` off the pull up bar sound fun, and they're something i'v always wanted to do- I'll give em a go later! - figure I can also hang with my entire lower leg over the bar and try some static hangs like that too- my legs are quite weak so this should be sufficeant for the moment.

Thanks again