Ring turn out and forearm rubbing

Started by Aaron Griffin, September 13, 2011 · 10 Replies · 14,690 Views

Aaron Griffin

When doing dips from an RTO support, I seem to get a "hot spot" on my forearm, not from the straps, but from the very edge of the ring that contacts the forearm DUE to the turn out.

Can someone figure out what I'm doing wrong here? Am I turning out TOO MUCH?

Aaron Griffin

Sorry. "Hot spot" is the term backpackers use for areas of the shoe which are going to turn into blisters unless you deal with them. I mean it is being rubbed by the ring itself and the skin is raw and red

Cole Dano

He's talking about RTO DIPS, which is thought to be the most difficult dip variation. I'm not really qualified to comment, but i would suggest you gradually build up the amount of turn out. Also make sure your support hold is spot on with the forearms completely off the rings.

Aaron Griffin
Mr Brady said:
He's talking about RTO DIPS, which is thought to be the most difficult dip variation. I'm not really qualified to comment, but i would suggest you gradually build up the amount of turn out. Also make sure your support hold is spot on with the forearms completely off the rings.

Hmm, I was gradually building up to completely proper form, as the book states. At this point, I'm still laying on my lats a bit for support. Perhaps it's this that is causing the rubbing. This is a random google find but if you look at his dips, it seems his forearms make contact with the rings about where mine do (see his Dip and "Wide Dip" images)

Razz

I almost have scars on my forearms from turning out the rings..not sure if it should be that way, but almost impossible not to touch in an RTO support or HS.

Aaron Griffin
Razz said:
I almost have scars on my forearms from turning out the rings..not sure if it should be that way, but almost impossible not to touch in an RTO support or HS.

So, essentially, I might be doing it right? Would you be able to post a picture so I can verify? They're not red anymore, but I know the position still.

I was actually wondering if perhaps my rings were too narrow. I hang them off of a pullup bar, so they slide around. I'll try some support holds in wider positions if I can.

Falcon

It's normal, I have them too. It's same thing like calluses on your hands.

Cole Dano
Razz said:
I almost have scars on my forearms from turning out the rings..not sure if it should be that way, but almost impossible not to touch in an RTO support or HS.

Interesting, i've been working to get them off, just because it seems that's the only way my elbows are completely straight.

Falcon
Mr Brady said:
Razz said:
I almost have scars on my forearms from turning out the rings..not sure if it should be that way, but almost impossible not to touch in an RTO support or HS.

Interesting, i've been working to get them off, just because it seems that's the only way my elbows are completely straight.

That makes two of us, Razz. I find it impossible to remove forearms from the top of the rings, I have 3x30s solid RTO support, but I fall everytime I try to remove them. I can remove my forearms from the top of the rings in normal support with rings parallel, but that leaves me with a very wide support position. And yet Coach says the proper way to hold the support position is with elbows absolutely straight to their limit. I'm confused.

Gregor

You'll always be touching with forearms a litlle bit, but much (so no scars). Problem may be bent elbows, wrong wrist position or bad material (straps).

I use mainly speith equipment and one home made (old as hell) in gym but just for warming up and dont have any problem with my forearms because of that.

dnj23

I've been having issues with this too doing bulgarian dips. For now I just apply a moisturizer to the front of the forearms to reduce friction without getting any on the hands or rings.