MSH + straddle v. s L-sit

Started by learningtofly, September 10, 2011 · 5 Replies · 3,301 Views

learningtofly

Simple question :

Once you have a "fairly" solid L-sit (around 30s palms down on floor), is it 100 % ok to use a combined straddle-L / MSH work (hands backward) instead on a SSC basis ? I mean shoulder wise. Knowing I still do support on rings etc.

I know both are less core intensive, and quad + psoas won't be fired the same way as L-sit does.

In my own experience L-sit upper-body strenght is even directly rised up this way, for obvious reasons.

But does anyone have a kind of counter argument ?

Thanks.

Samuel Carr

Just work all 3 in an SSC. I think that's what most people do

Blairbob

If you are satisfied with your 30s L-sit (1m is preferred), just do 1 maintenance set of 30s then move on your straddle-L/MSH work. I would keep them seperate.

learningtofly

1mn straight on floor, palms dows, seems impossible for me.

Just wondering if somehow the equation MSH + straddle-L >= L-sit was valid, shoulder wise...

And right, I always do some regular L-sit first. Just don't want to put too much here as I train the other ones.

That was a kind of silly question, but I like sometimes how silly questions bring unexpected answers...

Thanks.

Samuel Carr

So as to not overtrain your shoulders/triceps, you could just keep working l-sit, do reverse push up holds for manna substitute, and do seated straddle-l compressions to work hip flexors. I've been doing that about 2x a week and have been getting good results.

learningtofly

Yep, that sounds good. Thanks.

Obviously active flexibility is the main thing with straddle-L.

Adding pro-traction work like one hand scapula-PU and PPP will be 100% ok then, with that kind of schedule.

More than that would be off topic :)