Training routine (8-10 weeks) feedback needed

Started by Tim Peperkamp, September 6, 2011 · 6 Replies · 2,801 Views

Tim Peperkamp

Hello everybody,

First of all, I want to thank you guys for posting so much valuable gymnastic information on the internet! I have been reading and enjoying the forum quite a lot. After reading parts of Building the gymnastics body, i have tried to make my own training routine.

Monday - Integrated training - pulling

1. Assisted one arm chins (3x3 for each arm) Using the beastskills.com tutorial for this, alternating between assisted on arm chins and weighted 2 arm chins.

2. False grip L-sit pull ups (5x5) I can do some kipping muscle ups, but i want to learn strict ones, using Slizzardman's tutorial on that ( btw keep up the good work really learned a lot form your video's).

3. front lever rows flat tucked (5x5)

As for the static work, I want to focus on

L-sit (15 sec x 4)

Planche, flat tuck (6 sec x 10)

Back lever, straddled (6 sec x 10)

Front lever, straddled (6 sec x 10)

Tuesday - Integrated training - pushing

1. One arm push ups (5x5 for each arm)

2. Straight arm ring fly's (dunno the right name for this), (5x5)

3. Bulgarian ring dips (5x5)

Repeat Static work as described above.

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Integrated training - repeat Mondays training

Friday - Integrated training - repeat Tuesdays training

As for the integrated training, do i finish my basic strenght training first before doing static hold training, or do i alternate between lets say a pull up and a straddled back lever hold?

I know i have not included handstands in this routine, but i really dont know where to put them, also i am very bad at them atm due to an old injury.

I really want to know what you guys think about this routine, especially since i want to start training using an actual training routine which prevents me from injury or over training.

Ian Legrow

I think its great routine if you have been doing gymnastics for a couple of months or more. I think however, you might be putting to much stress on yourself if you have not.

Michael Miskelly
especially since i want to start training using an actual training routine which prevents me from injury or over training.

If thats the case have you considered the WOD's. You won't create anything better than them yourself and if you scale them properly to your level you will make safe gains minimising risk of injury or over training. You won't find anywhere else on the internet with a properly structured gymnastics based programme from an actual gymnastics coach.

Tim Peperkamp

thanks guys, would you guys add handstands to the pushing or pulling variation? regarding the WOD's i find it quite difficult to correctly scale the workouts tbh.

AlexX
beebob said:
thanks guys, would you guys add handstands to the pushing or pulling variation? regarding the WOD's i find it quite difficult to correctly scale the workouts tbh.

There are scaling progressions all over the forum as well as a ton of people that ask and get answers in the wod forums themselves. I would recommend the wods over your routine, if you are a beginner you will not make a better routine yourself and you will make slower gains than if you did the wods, why do something less efficient?

When I started I had over 5 years experience of making routines for myself as well as multiple other athletes not to mention majoring in exercise science and being exposed to a lot of olympic weightlifters, powerlifters, and strongman competitors and their routines and what worked for them. I made my own routines when I came here for gymnastics training and progress was devastatingly slow I could have cut my learning curve in half had I followed the advice here. Don't repeat my mistakes.

Tim Peperkamp

thanks, i guess i start using the WOD's then :) I know what WOD stands for but are they really dailly workouts? I mean that if i start following the WODS, do i have to train every day?

Michael Miskelly

No it will be the same you are doing at the minute. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. All other days are rest or whatever you want to do for recovery.