Hey guys
I've had this problem with my lower back for around two months now, and I'm not sure how to address it besides backing off from lifting weights entirely.
It started out when I threw out my lower back. It was the first time it ever happened. I can't remember what I did in particular, I remember reclining in a really bad position that put a lot of pressure on my back. I also was under a lot of stress which may have triggered it. Either way, the next day, my back started to randomly spasm. It did this for a day or two, and pretty felt felt better by the next week.
Now, ever since, whenever I do squats or deadlifts, I wake up and my lower back is stiff and slightly painful. The area affected is fairly narrow, the bottom is at the start of my hips where I can feel two pieces of bone on each side (not sure where its called), and extends up a few inches to around belly button level. Additionally, I have a slight loss of flexibility, as my pike stretch is worse when I feel this.
I get the pain only when I completely relax my lower back and allow my pelvis to rotate and back to round. For example, if I'm sitting in a low chair or doing an ass to ground squat without keeping tension in my spinal erectors. I can also feel it slightly during cat-cows, not as much pain there since I'm not under load, but stiffness.
Anyway, right now its very concerning that this isn't going away and might be getting worse. I've generally been lifting for most of the 2 months the issue has been going on, and I've actually made a lot of progress on my lifts. I went from squatting 115 for 5 to squatting 185 for 5, and I've worked up to deadlifting 215 for 5 (video is only 175).
I posted some form videos. The third video (squatting) was after receiving input. I was told I was hyperextending my low back at the top, and the 'butt wink' I saw was just moving into neutral position. Also, I learned to breath with the valsalva maneuver, and started aggressively tightening my abs.
KCCZrQQ-orI
LmBj6p-U09k
s-d8rJtQJDI
I still don't know if my form is good or bad with squats/deadlifts. Its hard for me to tell if my back is neutral, and I'm worried about having a butt wink on the squat. I've also been told that my squats are knee-initiated, rather than hip-initiated, and I should work on box squats to fix that.
Anyway, thanks if you've read this far. My questions are obvious- how do I fix this problem?
Also, should I be worried? I hear horror stories about people screwing up their backs from lifting weights. I don't know if thats a gradual thing or a sudden thing, but should I take this as a warning sign?
Thanks a lot,
MCem