I am new to gymnastics and I am looking for info/advice from any competitive gymnast or who ever may know how to help.
What type of competitions/opportunities to compete are out there for 18+ gymnasts?? Is College gymnastics the only option for the young adult? Are there any age limits for competitions?
Background: I am 19 years old, just graduated High School, and new to gymnastics world. I wrestled for 3 years in high school year-round. I finished at a pretty high level considering only training for 3 years (Top ten in 4A Washington State). I love to workout and have been doing strictly gymnastic/bodyweight based workouts for a few months now.
I have been going to gymnastics classes for only 2 weeks now and besides enjoying and loving every minute of it, my coaches say I have a lot of natural skill and am progressing fast. Besides the fact of really enjoying it in general, that fired me up even more.
I would love to compete somewhere. I plan on transferring to a University that happens to have an intercollegiate club team next year regardless, but is College gymnastics the only option??
I know that the USA Wrestling organization sponsors tons of tournaments nationwide that go from local, state, regional, national and even to the olympic level of wrestling for ALL AGES. And there is always a competitive pipeline where you can compete as far as you are good enough too.
Is there something similar with the USA Gymnastics organization???
any info/advice and comments are accepted
Thank you