Hey guys,
I have seen a lot of people stress how important handstand work is for gymnastics conditioning, however I find it dificult to motivate myself to practice my handstand. Without wanting to offend, when I think of handstands I think of kids doing them at school for fun, not as a way of building strength. Dont get me wrong, I understand they do require a lot of strength and are by no means easy, however I still find it hard to make them a priority in my training.
From what I have read in the forums, I have understood that the L-sit and hanstand work are two of the most fundamental skills needed for gymnastic work. Would this be a correct statement?
I see the importance of the L-sit because I see the carry over value it has with other skills. However with handstand work it is less obvious to me. Could someone explain to me why handstand work is so important? I understand it will help develop the shoulders which is the most important area in gymnastics, but I gather there is a lot more to it than just that.
I think if I understand better the value of the handstand, I will be able to make it a priority in my training a lot easier.