Making Rings out of Rope- help!

Started by Evilllamas, September 3, 2011 · 7 Replies · 4,067 Views

Evilllamas

Hi

I'm not going to be buying proper rings until I know for certain I can install them, I have my new room, and am capable of solid front and back levers, in the mean time- I'm making do with an iron gym, but I have no wear to train muscle ups or dips, i can just about do a static dip hold with a book case and a chair- but it's far from ideal, so I'v decided to make some cheap, temporary rings from rope.

Currently- I'm having trouble finding rope- I only need about 6m maximum, but all the rope I find is nasty 6mm nylon chord- no 1.5cm ish rope.

If anyone can help with that, I'd be thankful- but the main point of this thread is how I would go about tying the ropes to make rings- I can use some bits of plastic piping for grips, to save my hands- but how and where should I knot the rope to make them stay in shape?

Thanks

Cole Dano

Take a look at some of Alex87's videos he has a similar set up.

Evilllamas

Thanks!

I'v sourced some rope and piping for grips- I just need to find out if my rope is strong enough!

rubadub

Do yourself a favour and get some adjustable straps. I got mine here, cheap & strong and very reasonable postage.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Handy-Straps/M ... pos=&gbr=1

I have had over 100kg on a single medium duty one with no trouble. I got extra long ones so I could trim off the ends and use the webbing for other stuff.

It is quite hard to tie 2 ropes to exactly the same length, and adjustable straps means you can have lots of uses.

Evilllamas

Thanks for the strap info!

Now I'v just got to make some rings...

I'm thinking of using some Hempex rope in loops (20mm) with some peices of PVC piping for grips- I'm not great at DIY, and my family wouldn't be too happy with me baking PVC in the oven

Randeep Walia

Believe it or not, IKEA has a set of cheap rings that you might want to consider.

Olly

I'll post a picture tomorrow of my set-up and you will be surprised at how little is needed!

Blairbob

Before I bought a pair of GB rings, I simply threaded 5" of PVC through rope and hung them off a pullup tower. After buying my own set, I luckily made my own pair though the straps are a bit too short but work since I hang them off an Iron Gym ( I miss the longer straps ).

They worked for levers and support and dip work though I never tried HS on them and they wouldn't work for MU seeing that they were straight.