Bodyweight leg extension exercise - Opinions?

Started by Finn Frank, September 3, 2011 · 15 Replies · 5,707 Views

Finn Frank

I was watching s gymnastic strength video and came across this movement I hadn't seen before. I was wondering what you're opinions on the movement were?

Check out around 0.18 - 0.26 although I think the rest of the video is worth a watch :)

1egn6D4T82E

Aaron Griffin

This guy seems pretty strong, yet even HE used a lot of momentum on that movement. Seems kinda cool, but inaccessible for a lot of people.

I dub this exercise the "Hanging Natural Leg Curl"

Finn Frank

I guess you could do this with your torso tucked in. Keeping your body closer to the anchor might make it more accessible. I mean a full GHR without much momentum is pretty inaccessible for most of us :P

Philip Chubb

You could simply have the person sit closer to your knees to make it easier. I have thought about doing these with NLCs! Definitely something to take easy though so the knees don't get aggravated. I am wondering if the benefits are worth the time and risk.

Finn Frank

@ Philip That is more or less what I was wondering, if the benifits of this movement would be worth the investment and potential risks or if its just a show off move :P

Philip Chubb
Finnbar said:
@ Philip That is more or less what I was wondering, if the benifits of this movement would be worth the investment and potential risks or if its just a show off move :P

Exactly! I also feel like if it was such a good variation and provided a lot of benefit, that Coach would have had it in the book. I am considering playing with it though because I am basically done the NLC progressions and almost want a new leg move to conquer :D

Coach Sommer

We have never done this movement. But it looks interesting IF someone were strong enough to handle it. If you do decide to experiment with it, please drop us a note later and let us know if the movement was worthwhile.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Finn Frank

Thanks for replying to this thread Coach, good to hear what you think. I will have a go if I'm strong enough and report back :). It will be good to hear anyone else's experience with this movement.

Philip Chubb

Thank you for responding Coach. I thought that you maybe thought the exercise was not worth the time. If that isn't the case, I think I will start today!

Finn Frank

Keep us posted Philip :D

Philip Chubb

Well for my first post about it, I hung my rings on a banister that lets me use the ceiling above me as a workout machine. So the exercise works. If you want an idea about how hard it was, I had to use a rope and partially pull up to make it happen. :D . I can do a one legged GHR so this is going to compliment it well! I am not sure of how much it will transfer to other things though. Quads aren't supposed to help that much for jumping as opposed to the hamstrings.

Philip Chubb

I said I would write about these before and I have been doing them a while to the point where I don't really need the rope. I notice that I am jumping higher and the height of my tumbling has improved. I am actually not able to jump as hard as I could in my house because I am afraid of hitting my head on the ceiling.

Ian Legrow

Philip, you caan do a one legged GHR!!!??? DUDE! Post a video or something, that is so cool!!!

Philip Chubb

Sure thing, my friend!

Edit: Neither my phone nor my moms will upload it to youtube...so much for a smart phone. I'll see if my girl's can when I get a chance.

mikelmarion

Updates?

Philip Chubb
mikelmarion said:
Updates?

Well I did it for a while and now its only hard at the top. It helped a little I believe because I'm tumbling a lot higher. But that could be from all the other not so normal things that I'm doing.