Hi, I have some trouble with front-lever and planche and I believe the biggest problem is lack of strength on my latissimus dorsi.
Is there any exercises I can add for this?
Started by Bruno Cochofel, September 2, 2011 · 8 Replies · 4,758 Views
Hi, I have some trouble with front-lever and planche and I believe the biggest problem is lack of strength on my latissimus dorsi.
Is there any exercises I can add for this?
My recommendation would be pull-ups, chin-ups (weighted and un-weighted), one-arm chin progressions, and tucked FL body rows. The first few exercises will obviously directly stress your lats and the last exercise will encompass your entire back. If you're unable to do full bodyweight on these exercises, look at the various progressions in BtGB for some ideas on how to leverage partial BW resistance. Hope it helps.
One other thing I failed to mention, but that you may already be aware of, is to make sure your core is solid. Not just your abs, but your entire core - lower back, glutes, obliques, hip flex/ext, etc. The FL and planche are a total body exercise/movement and any weaknesses in your core area will prevent you from properly completing the holds. You may think that it is your lats holding you back but it may be because your core is weak. Look throughout the forum to get a better idea of what other FSP/FBE's you should be able to perform at each level prior to working these exercises. Again, I hope I helped.
The ab wheel strengthens both the core and the lats extremely well. The pullover-like motion of it is pretty useful in strengthening your back. It's also dead cheap.
While the oac is an awesome skill, in my own experience I saw no carryover to front lever work (hard to believe I know). But pulling exercises in the front position itself helped quite a bit (not bent arm versions) front pulls where you lift into the front lever as well as the pull through it.
mtoshea said:One other thing I failed to mention, but that you may already be aware of, is to make sure your core is solid. Not just your abs, but your entire core - lower back, glutes, obliques, hip flex/ext, etc. The FL and planche are a total body exercise/movement and any weaknesses in your core area will prevent you from properly completing the holds. You may think that it is your lats holding you back but it may be because your core is weak. Look throughout the forum to get a better idea of what other FSP/FBE's you should be able to perform at each level prior to working these exercises. Again, I hope I helped.
I'm also working my core, even the basic hollow holds since they are fundamental for handstand work.. but I have a more trained core then lats ;-)
you can progress with strength progression for the pull up as i saud in a post of this forum..
As i think coach said in other post a long time ago, if you have to pike at your hips to mantain the position (even slightly) your core is weak, if you don't pike but can't hold is about lats (or whatever muscle of the back/shoulder girdle are involved).
serotonin said:As i think coach said in other post a long time ago, if you have to pike at your hips to mantain the position (even slightly) your core is weak, if you don't pike but can't hold is about lats (or whatever muscle of the back/shoulder girdle are involved).
that's really a good insight.. thx