Advice regarding parallettes please

Started by Paul Hudson, August 31, 2011 · 4 Replies · 8,133 Views

Paul Hudson

Hello there, hope someone can help?

I'm new to all this, and not really sure that my age/build lends itself to gymnastics, but I am enthusiastic, if that counts for anything?

I just bought 'Building the Gymnastic Body' and I'm looking to purchase a pair of parallettes. The choice I have here in the UK is fairly limited (and it appears just as cheap to buy as it does to build?).

My options are a large pair 50cm high (about 20"), or a small pair 7" high

Which ones should a complete novice opt for?

Sorry for being so vague!

thanks in advance

Paul

Pkhamidar2com

go with the biggest one i say :)

Cole Dano

The taller ones will serve you better for more things than the short ones. You can even set them on chairs or boxes for an ad hoc set of parallel bars.

Paul Hudson

Great, thanks chaps, the large ones it is then

rubadub
Mr Brady said:
You can even set them on chairs or boxes for an ad hoc set of parallel bars.

I have 2 sturdy wooden boxes and I put regular pushup stands on them to increase height so stuff like L-sits (feet dipping infront) and doing extra deep pushups.

Pushup stands are readily available, I got mine in a set like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... HIN+UP.htm

they have a cheap set for £5.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 237159.htm

I would much prefer parallettes though, more stable.