bodyweight training/a a seemingly obvious question

Started by Ian Legrow, August 31, 2011 · 6 Replies · 2,966 Views

Ian Legrow

This question will probably make most of you laugh or wonder if I am serious, but here it goes. When i was a body builder I did everything correctly. I ate right, I did cardio, rested properly, etc. The only thing that i had a "problem" with was smoking. Now, at the time, my wife did not want me to be this bulking massive guy, and she was smoking herself, so it wasn't a big deal. I never noticed a difference in difficulty becas, as some people told me, my lungs were holding me back. I actually never noticed a difference at all. I decided to quit and had not smoked for 6 months when I joined this forum, but with my wedding getting closer (October) and other such stresses, i went back to it. Not heavy, but enough. Now the only reaosn i am not buying them is becasue we need the money and my wife keeps telling me that if i really love gymnastics the way i say i do, then smoking will just hinder my progress. Now i look at gymnasts at the olympics and such and i think they probably don't smoke, but I have heard that they do do steroids (becasue nowadays aparently every major sport does). And i also noticed i was breathing harder when i started smoking again. Is there a reason that it barley affected me at all when i was weight training, but it seems to affect me a greater deal here? (Btw, i am not smoking again, its been about a week so far).

Again, sorry for the dumb question in advance.

Rafael David

Dude, I'm not specialist, but I think is better you stop smoking, not just for your sports but for your health! Smoking increase a lot the chances of have a lung cancer and if you don't care about it, you should care about with children that you can have in the future, they can be passive smokers, what is very bad for their health and not count here the problems due of bad gestation, because your wife smoking too.

IJL said:
Now i look at gymnasts at the olympics and such and i think they probably don't smoke, but I have heard that they do do steroids (becasue nowadays aparently every major sport does).

About this, if I remember right, Coach Sommer said in another post that he discredits the use of steroids by GYMNASTS.

I hope it helped. :|

Ian Legrow

it does. My wife does not smoke anymore and thankfully I only smoked for 2 weeks after stopping for 9 months. I have not smoked for a week now and trying my best to continue doing so. Gymnastics has been the only thing i have ever strived to do better at, so I am not going to waste that, but does any body else have problems with this?

Pkhamidar2com

i doubt gymnasts use steroids as that would only give them unnecesary weight, meaning they have a lesser strength to bodyweight ratio...

so steroids are a no no

Larry Roseman

Steriods are a no-no but it's possible to use them for enhanced recovery rather than musclar enlargement.

In any event I beieve it requires more aerobic energy (oxygen) to manage your entire body during the movement, rather than

laying on a bench or sitting on a seat and lifting the weight. So one has that benefit but also expense.

Compound lifts are going to involve more energy in stabilzing the weight so would be closer to bodyweight in energy usage (just speculating).

Falcon
IJL said:
but I have heard that they do do steroids

How steroids help with learning skills? Or ligament strenght? Muscle strenght isnt the issue in this sport, mainly.

Ian Legrow
FutureisNow said:

In any event I beieve it requires more aerobic energy (oxygen) to manage your entire body during the movement, rather than

laying on a bench or sitting on a seat and lifting the weight. So one has that benefit but also expense.

Compound lifts are going to involve more energy in stabilzing the weight so would be closer to bodyweight in energy usage (just speculating).

Thank you! thats what i was looking for. It makes sense tyo me now why it never really effected me (or noticablly) when i smoked and body built.